Change MAC Address?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MBHockey, Jul 28, 2009.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Is there a way to change the MAC address of a jailbroken 3GS? I've tried the GUI app SpoofMAC and it simply doesn't work (although it thinks it is successful).

I also tried changing it manually with MobileTerminal with the 'ifconfig en0 lladr' command, just how I do it on my Mac, but it returns some error (bad value) every time I try that.

Is this possible?

2. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

The reason I want to do this is to use the free ATT wifi that comes with my iPhone on my laptop. Frequently, I study at barnes and noble and it's just much easier and efficient to Wikipedia and Google things on my MacBook than on my iPhone. I'm not trying to steal my neighbors wifi, and I figure this is at least a little better than tethering from my iPhone to my MacBook (yes, I know that technically you are only supposed to use the ATT wifi on your iPhone. Spare me a further lecture.)

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Often folks home routers need to spoof the MAC address of a machine on their local network to gain access to their ISP after the router is installed. This is, or at least was, a common option on Linksys routers.

Personally, I am doing grad work in forensic computing and the ability to spoof a MAC-address on my iPhone would come in handy.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Oh yeah man - where did all the banter go?! I was following this mess...

5. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Well now Barnes and Noble has free wifi.
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/28/barnes-and-noble-switches-to-free-wifi-just-the-thing-for-your-e/

6. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey