Change MacBook or repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by edoardoruggeri, Mar 4, 2014.

1. edoardoruggeri macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I recently had problems with my mid-2008 MacBook so I sent it in for repair to an independent computer repair shop (as suggested by a genius at the genius bar, after he ran some tests and couldn't find anything wrong).
    The repair shop told me that the HDD needs to be replaced, and they are willing to do that for £110 (~$185).

Now, I could grab a new MacBook Pro for £900 (student discount) with RAM upgraded to 8GB.
    I was wondering whether it is worth it to repair a 6 years old MacBook, or if it's better to go buy a new one.
    What would you do? I'm really unsure on what to do

2. Lefty21 macrumors regular

Considering that 2.5" 750 GB HDDs can be had for ~$60-70 and they are pretty easy to replace on those models, I would just do the repair myself.
    Now that is becoming a pretty old computer (I don't think those models will run Mavericks) so depending on what you use it for it may be time for a new one. My Late 2009 MacBook works just fine for me though.

3. Satellitecentra macrumors newbie

For the price of a new hdd , an 30 mins of your time , me , i would repair it , after all its gonna fetch more money if you want to sell it as fully functional :) repair it
    just my opinion

4. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Most likely, the repair shop would replace your hard drive with the original hard drive with would be of a low capacity.

For that price, you can get a 120 GB ssd or a 1Tb HDD.

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

£30 will get you a new 250GB SATA 2.5 inch laptop drive and 5 mins to change them over.....

Bit cheaper than £900...