Change mail sound..

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by esadb, Aug 23, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

So i found a file i want to use my email sound. I named it to a .caf and it works fine playing it in quicktime on the machine.

I sshed into the iphone directory /System/Library/Audio/UISounds and changed the file called new-mail.caf.

So i did that rebooted. Sent myself a test email.. No sound or vibrate.. Nothing.

Changed it back to the original, works as intended.

Any idea why i cant get the custom tone to work?

Thanks

2. ROCKERDAN macrumors regular

i took the easy route cause i wanted to change ALL my sounds AND tones,and ringers....

so i got ToneFXs from cydia.....make all your tones on PC(w/tonefx creator) any length, SSH them in and then you can toggle an of them on or change any tones/ sms,email,notify,any sounds or tones all on phone with a toggle...

been using this for 3gs and new ip4.

Attached Files:

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

What was the original extension of the file? in order to change it to .caf it needs to be a .aif before you change the extension to .caf (quicktime have a lot more encoders than the iPhone).

besides that your seen have done the right steps.

If that still doesn't work, you can check TuneFX, it's pretty easy to customized sounds with it. (they have a free trial)

Edit: I think there is also a time limit on default sounds, I can't remember what it is.

4. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Thanks, but id rather not download any additional stuff.

It was .mp3 format

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah that's your issue, you need to convert it to .aiff before changing the extension to .caf, you can use itunes to do that

Here is a quick Guide

6. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Worked wonderfully! Thank you very much!