Change my processor?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sam8675309, Jul 4, 2010.

1. sam8675309 macrumors newbie

Let's say, years from now my Macbook is considerably slower. Is it possible to change/upgrade the processor or would the price to change a processor just not be worth it?
    (I also understand that I can upgrade the RAM and hard drive. Also, I understand that this post deals with the 'uncertain' future, but the idea is the same as if I wanted to change a processor on a laptop today)

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

AFAIK all Apple laptops have their processors soldiered in, so effectively no, you can't DIY swap.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you COULD find the CPU you would be hard pressed to be able to succesfully change them over. they are soldered on, a technician could do it im sure, but the CPUs cost $1000+ as they are not sold by Intel - 3rd party people buy the laptops, take the CPU out and then resell etc.

4. sam8675309 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The only really feasible way to upgrade a CPU on an Apple laptop would be to do a complete logic board swap to a compatible one that has a faster chip soldered on. And that's not exactly cheap. Even on the used market, spare logic boards can grab $500-1000, depending on model. Additionally, doing the actual swap isn't for the feint of heart.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not to mention the other threats such as incompatibilities with both hardware and the physical size of the thing, depending on what logic board you go for of course.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't think so. BGAs really require mechanized handling for any sort of reliable repair or maintenance.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

And you would also have to deal with the issue of matching the bus speed and firmware and memory. It's simply not worth the effort; a new computer would have faster bus/memory and firmware to match the CPU.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i could have sworn i remember somebody here on MR doing the swap. that was about 2 years ago i think. but yea mechanical would be a lot smarter - if possible.