change of storage needs with iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lil' brudder, Jan 7, 2012.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

So I've had my finger on the trigger for awhile now as far as getting an iPhone is concerned. I will probably wait for the iPhone 5 before I buy, but I was just wondering what you all thought as far as on-device storage needs go now that Apple has rolled out iCloud and iTunes Match and such.

Originally I was thinking I should get the 64GB iPhone since my library would easily almost fill the 32GB and is growing steadily as I buy more music. (I know I probably don't need to have my entire library with me at all times, but I like to, okay? :p) Now that I have iTunes Match, I've been loving being able to stream my entire iTunes library on my work computer. Having that same option on my iPhone seems to be pretty cool, and so I thought maybe even the 16GB would suffice. Thoughts?

2. Benchtech macrumors member

I'd always go with the high physical storage, iCloud and iTunes Match is all well and good but it's kind of hindered by the small dataplans that are rolling out.

But if you have a fair enough dataplan or are on WiFi whenever listening to music and the coverage in your area is good then go for the 16GB by all means.

Hope this helps
    Ben

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

iCloud is incredibly useful, but ultimately it uses data. This means that it won't be available if you're on a plane, or out of coverage and don't have wifi, and it'll be inconvenient if you're stuck in a slow data area.

Additionally: If you're on a data cap, iCloud will use some of that if you don't have it on wifi. And this might even be something to consider if your home Internet connection is also capped (such as 250GB on Comcast).

For all of these reasons, it's still good to have lots of storage, and everything stored locally when possible.

The 64GB iPhone is the first one that can store all my content, so I'm glad to have it.