Change OS at System Start up

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Major.Robto, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Hey,

I have a third party logitech windows keyboard, I can reset pram fine, but I can not hold down winodws key to chose the os,

Also is there a way to have after windows load to automatic change the os back to OSX?

Like right at system start so I can run my windows update and let it reboot and go back to OSX?
    (With out user intervention) I know there is the controller pane for it, but can I get the computer to do it for me.
    I

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

have you tried the alt key to go to boot screen. /set in system prefs the osx as startup disc /use alt key to go windows /in windows if want set start to restart instead of shutdown. if set in system prefs to start in 0sx and not change should always reboot in osx.

3. chrisvee macrumors regular

Hold to ALT key when booting up, it should bring up the screen where you chose the OS you want.

Also, there are two ways to specify your startup disk. On Mac OS, you can use System Preferences -> Startup Disk (like this). On Windows, you can use Apple's Boot Camp control panel, like this.

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I prefer the method chrisvee mentioned for changing OS.

Even the Apple wireless keyboard can be a bit finicky sometimes when trying to select the OS at startup (or you restart your computer in order to change the OS and end up doing something else while waiting for the computer to start and forget - although this has never happened to me - today anyway).

5. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

uhhh thanks, I just said I knew about the system pref pane, both in windows and OSX
    apple just lays that our right for you

but I mean to not even have to go in there like a script that does it for me, are there not scripts to go in the shut down menus?

because when you change it in the pref it makes that the default

I only want to boot in to windows once, not every time

Then I have to go back in and change it,

because every time I load windows now, I go in to the stupud boot camp pref and change it back to osx,

6. eeclipse16 macrumors member

Not sure if i was reading this right but im guessing you want your computer to boot into OSX every time you turn it on instead of windows? If so go into system preferences>startup disk and then click OSX and then restart. Now it will boot into OSX every time until you change it again.

7. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

Jesus I know that, stop telling me the same thing,

When you go in the system pref it makes it the default,

I only want it to be the defaul at the next boot as an exception, not permantly,

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The easiest way is just to use Option (Alt) at the boot chime when you want to get into Windows. The default will remain as OS X if you do that.

9. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

See the thing is

I go for a coffee grab at the reboot, I just want windows to automaticly change it back to osx even, beucase at times I have rebooted back in to windows and its kind of anoying

10. murphychris macrumors 6502a

You appear to be saying you want Mac OS X to be the default boot OS. But sometimes, you want a one time Windows boot.

This is what the option key at start up is for. One time Windows boot. I don't see how you gain any time by scripting this at all. 10 seconds?

In any case, while you could script it from the Mac side, it would not be a one time boot. NVRAM doesn't support this. It supports multiple entries, and fallback entries, with a default entry. But doesn't have a way to use an entry one time and then change the default. You'd have to create a complementary script on the Windows side that writes to NVRAM and changes the default back to Mac OS X.

11. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want a script to run on the windows side to make it default back to mac,

12. murphychris macrumors 6502a

I have no idea what you're asking for. Part of the Boot Camp for Windows download includes a Startup Disk utility the does exactly that.

It's likely only Apple's utility can do this from the Windows side, no code on Windows would know how to punch through Apple's CSM-BIOS to write into NVRAM which is technically the domain of EFI, not BIOS.

13. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

Does a porgram that exist that can play back exact mouse movement and click stuff?

Can I not just make a recording and have it play back?

14. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Do you realize you're asking Windows questions on an overwhelmingly Mac forum? I've never heard of such a thing but you might try a Windows forum.

----------

And further, what does this playback gain you? It seems like a completely ridiculous request. There is a startup disk panel for Windows, provided by Apple, to do the very thing you want.

15. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

you dont understand I want to automate it at start up to make it defualt back to OSX, because I forget to change it and then I boot back to windows when i dont want to wasiting my time

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you're only booting Windows occasionally then don't set Windows as the default in the first place. Keep the default as OS X and then just use Option at boot when you need to get into Windows (which doesn't change the default).

17. murphychris macrumors 6502a

What is so difficult for you to understand? Don't make Windows the default in the first place. Just use the option-key at startup menu to choose Windows and leave the default as Mac OS X. JFC it's not that difficult. You're wasting your time AND everyone else's asking what I think is a stupid question, honestly.

18. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

Why cant I just make the staup disk a one time only via the OS? I cant hold down the key at start up because my keyboard dont you understand that?

19. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

just set the default to be OXS and lock out changes.

This way you can simply use the option at startup to get to windows.

If you shut down windows, your next restart will be in OSX.

20. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Why doesn't matter. It simply doesn't work that way.

No I don't. You said you can zap PRAM, which also uses the alt/option key. Clearly the option key works. Yet you're saying it doesn't work by itself, just for getting the boot menu? Seems like user error or you need a different keyboard. I wouldn't accept a keyboard that can't do basic input like this at boot time.

21. chrisvee macrumors regular

I haven't tried this yet, but you could try something like 'Do It Again'. I think it records some actions (i.e. Clicking Boot Camp Control Panel, changing start up disk back to Mac OS, etc), and have it available on a shortcut or something. Again, I haven't tried this and I don't think I want to. Too much of a a hassle IMO.

In the end, the Option/Alt key to chose OS seems like the easiest way to do it. And, I have a Logitech keyboard as well as a Microsoft keyboard that use the Alt key to do so.

22. Major.Robto thread starter macrumors 6502

Seem my atl key will not work till the drivers are loaded, this keyboard is skotofrenic, I can Reset pram with it, but I cant use the alt to boot to that menu at all, and its still a waist for me because I just want windows once in a blue moon