change OS on my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stevenldavis, Sep 19, 2011.

1. stevenldavis macrumors newbie

i bought a used white 13" macbook. I am not sure of the year but i'm guessing 2007 or 2008.it's running 10.4 right now and i want to do a clean install and put the newest OS it will take on it.my question is can i put a newer OS on it doing a clean install? if so how do i do a clean install? sorry but i am a PROUD NEW OWNER of the MAC computer line so i know nothing about doing things like this on a MAC. i am very good on pc just new to Mac. i do know that this has an intel processor and i upgraded the memory to 4 gig. i will be very thankfull for any advice on this issue.

thanks,
    steve

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

10.4 so you need a Leopard disc for 10.5.
    Just wipe everything off your HDD

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can upgrade directly to 10.6 (snow leopard) from 10.4 with a disc. Or, if you really want lion and don't want to go through snow leopard to get it, you can buy a lion USB stick.

4. session101 macrumors regular

i would like to thank the members of the macbook side of the forum for answering this guy's simple question.....oh wait you didn't:mad::mad::mad:

ok so you bought your macbook awesome!
    do you have the install disks for the OSX that you wish to upgrade to?

hopefully its Snow Leopard which is 10.6, i think you will be happy with it and it works quite well because you can't really take advantage of 10.7 features

well boot up and put the install disk in the CD-Drive....shutdown mac

power on mac while holding down the option key... this will give you the option to boot from CD

boot from the CD and start to run in the install program, before choosing your HD as the install point, you are going to look for the Disk Utility program.

Choose the HD and select Erase and leave it at the default file system.

finish the Erase then continue to run your install of OSX on your fresh formatted HD