Change out phone without losing JB?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by simple20, Aug 27, 2011.

1. simple20 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

iPhone 4 with I think 4.3.2. I have an untethered JB. My iPhone's home button is quickly becoming inoperable, and I called a genius and she said I can bring my phone in and pay 199 and get a new one (mine's out of warranty). I hooked up my phone and saw that 4.3.5 is out with no untethered JB. I was wondering if I can,
    a.) backup my phone on iTunes without updating the firmware?
    b.) restore as new without deleting my backuped file (so I can trade it in with no personal info on it) or without installing the newest firmware?
    c.) If I get a refurb with a newer firmware, when I plug in the new iphone, will I be able to load my old phone's backup file so I don't lose any contacts, texts, etc.? And will my backup file downgrade the firmware to my previous phone's firmware so I can rejailbreak with the untether?

Thanks

2. paxxxor macrumors newbie

paxxxor

If you backup/sync your old phone with your computer and transfer/sync your new phone with it you will not lose any of your data...

Your new phone will have 4.3.5, you will not be able to downgrade at all with this new device.

You will not be able to jailbreak again until probably iOS 5 and a stable jailbreak is released.

paxxxor

3. simple20 thread starter macrumors regular

EW Shoddy craftsmanship; The newest apple anti-jailbreak.

Thanks

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unless the refurb has blobs saved, you're stuck.

5. paxxxor macrumors newbie

paxxxor

All complex software such as this will have holes, It's just a matter of time until they are exploited, and then just another matter of time until they are closed.

The only reason iOS 5 is the one you will be waiting for is because it is highly unlikely they will release a untethered jailbreak for a soon to be obsolete iOS.

paxxxor

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

Home button is a known issue for I4. Many Genus's have exchanged I4's even out of warranty. I wouldn't be quick to hand over $200. I would talk to the manager if need be, of course be polite. I exchanged mine about a month ago in warranty. lost all my blobs, Maybe they fixed mine and you'll get it.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not possible to change out the phone without losing the JB. All replacements will come on stock firmware obviously.
    You will either have to JB the new device all over again and if its on firmware that dont support an untethered JB you will have to deal with that or stay stock till there is a new untethered JB.
    That's how its always been and will be.

8. simple20 thread starter macrumors regular

Figured. What about if I send it to IResq to install a new home button? Obviously I will want to restore as new so I don't send my phone to some random person with my personal life on it, but can I restore it to my current firmware, or will it HAVE to restore to the new current firmware?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can either send it as it is with your stuff on it.
    Or if you have shsh blobs for 4.3.3 firmware of below you can restore to any of that using Tinyumbrella.
    Send it in after restored as new and then when it comes back JB and install all your stuff again, restore from backup etc...
    But without SHSH you will only be able to restore to the latest firmware out.

10. PharmDoc, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Yea, I was thinking about this exact same thing as my home button seems unresponsive at times. I hate to lose the JB but I guess I'd rather have a functional home button.

I'm also hesitant to swap out my phone as seeing other people have had to get multiple phones because the replacement phones had other issues.