Change Photo Booth 'save to' directory?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by css136, Aug 13, 2008.

1. css136 macrumors member

Hi, I am a new Mac user, switching from Linux Ubuntu (and, er, Windows). I am trying to clean up my home directory because it is so messy compared to my previous Linux directory. In particular, I am trying to move my Photos/Movies/Music/Documents directories to a parent folder called "docs" but this is more difficult than I had thought it would be. Photo Booth needs the directory "/Users/username/Photos" to save its photos, but I would obviously like to change this to match my new organization, "/Users/username/docs/photos". I can't find an option to change the default 'save to...' path - is this in any way possible?

The reason I am trying to re-organize things is just for convenience... from the command line, it is not so nice to have 1,000,000 directories in my home folder. Thanks for the help!

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

You can't change the path, unfortunately. Using a symlink would be an option, but that doesn't solve your clutter problem.

3. css136 thread starter macrumors member

Re

Ah, thanks for the info, but surely there is a way to change the path that Mac OS X uses for the "Photos" directory? Is the path "/Users/username/Pictures" hardcoded into the Photo Booth program, or do they use a general variable $PICTURES that links to the directory that Mac OS X 'thinks' is the Pictures directory? In other words, is it possible to change this at all?

I am having similar troubles with my Documents folder. Many of my programs have the default of storing program information in /Users/username/Documents, but I would kind of like to change this to something else. It seems like there should be a way to change the default "Documents" folder - any ideas?

Thanks for the help :)