Change pixel ratio of live video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by activate, Mar 2, 2012.

1. activate macrumors regular

Dec 24, 2011
    Hey guys,

I have search high and low to make this happen and now I am not sure if it is possible.

Eye tv software make available a few different aspect ratios. The one that i want is 2.35:1 to or thereabouts. This is one that they do not have.

I am trying to find a way to force this to happen.

Basically my 16:9 tv is filled with the 16:9 aspect ratio but what I want is the black bars. I want to shrink the vertical aspect (not crop) so that the image is smaller but i do not loose any of it. (Something that xbmc can do for example) I understand that this distorts the image but it allows me to use the the black bars on the desktop to display other things.

I have also switch res for mac but am not sure how to use it to make this happen. I tried writing apple scripts but this just resized the window but the image within it didn't change.

If anyone has any idea or suggetions it would be great.

Mac mini 2011 server
    Eyetv 3.5.4
    Plasma 720p tv
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    Can VLC Player help? You can change the aspect ratio via the "A" key:
  3. activate thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 24, 2011
    Thanks mate, I gave it a shot. It is very unstable. Also, not sure if I can use it with a remote ie. to change channels and so on.

I tried their latest 2.0 release
  4. activate thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 24, 2011
    Can you or someone please explain how do I setup eyetv with vlc so that I can change channels through vlc, preferably with the apple remote.

Vlc is running with the eyetv plugin on the same machine as the eyetv.

Thanks again"