Change ports of graphics card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jardins de Vin, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I have an AMD Radeon HD 4870 1 GB with two DVI ports.
    While looking on the internet what this card might be worth, I noticed the same card with different ports. For example with only one DVI port, and two (or one) mini Displayport.

Is there a way to change this? I want to connect the Mac to a 27" Cinema Display, which isn't possible with this card apparently, it can only be connected to a display with DVI or HDMI. The 27" LED Display has Mini Displayport.

Thanks guys :rolleyes:

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

You might have a general PC version, and the one with the DP ports you saw was probably a Mac Pro version of the same card.

Since it's a Mac Pro you could easily just buy a new card and try to sell the old one. I don't think you can just swap the ports like that, you'd need a whole different card.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Hmm I see, that sucks. My first thought was actually to sell it, then I thought I may be able to just change the ports.
    I guess the PC version will be much less expensive than the Apple version, which means I'll be loosing money too :(

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you don't already have the display, I would recommend an alternative. Something like a Dell Ultrasharp is a good choice.

If you already have the display, they will DVI to miniDP adapters, but they are kind of expensive.

5. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Do they work in both ways? I see plenty of MDP to DVI adapters, but none in the other direction. Or is it the same?

As for the display, I can get a mint 27" for not even half of what it cost new, so I'll go with that :) It's a good price!

6. Jardins de Vin, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

As for the graphics card: the more I search, the more different versions I see. So it isn't as if there's only a PC and a Mac version, but many more in fact. For example I see models with 2x mini Displayport, then I see another model with only once mini Displayport.

Is it really not possible to change this? Otherwise I'd probably keep the card. It's too bad.

Edt: This is the first one I finally found: http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-EXT-DVI-2-MDP/dp/B002QPWBEK
    You're right about them being expensive I guess… I didn't expect that price. I think it would be cheaper to just change by graphics card.

7. Shrapnel macrumors newbie

I've used this adaptor for a few years to use my 27" Cinema Display's with PC's and the DVI port on similar video cards in a Mac Pro. Has worked well. Keep in mind the output is Display Port only, not Thunderbolt if you wanted to connect a newer Apple display. Mini Display Port and Thunderbolt connectors look the same. I wasn't sure of your familiarity with the two. Wanted to throw that caveat out there.

http://www.kanexlive.com/c247dl

Good luck.

-Shrapnel