Change reading/writing fontsize in Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macstatic, Jan 10, 2016.

1. macstatic, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016

macstatic macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to increase the font size in OSX's Mail.app, but only for reading/writing new messages?
    I've found options in its preferences for this but it appears to affect both what I see on the screen as well as whatever is sent to others.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, what ever you set in Preferences>Fonts and Colours is what is seen at the other end, and, you've guessed it, whatever the sender sets in his Fonts and Colours is what you see when you read his email. You can't change what arrives in your inbox.

3. CrickettGrrrl macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I was wondering about this and checked if 2 options were possible, and they both worked on my iMac (using 10.9 Mavericks, don't know if they'd work in El Capitan or Yosemite).

First, on received mail: I highlight the text body and then hold down the Command key and tap the + key several times, it enlarges the text just fine.

Second, to enlarge text while writing an email --but keeping the original font size for the recipient: hold down the Control key and scroll your mouse to zoom in. You can type your email text and when finished, press the Escape key, or Control key & scroll the mouse in the reverse direction until back to original screen view.

Not terribly elegant, but functional.

4. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but this has to be set every time you open Mail, right?
    So there's no provision in Mail for enlarging the text (without affecting what you send to others) permanently?
    How about enlarging text within OSX, affecting all apps?