Change region format on DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CGagnon, Jul 14, 2010.

1. CGagnon macrumors regular

CGagnon

I have a DVD with an Indian region format (nothing illegal, it's from a wedding). Is there a way to change that to play on a US region DVD player?

Edit: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. I wasn't sure if it had something to do with hardware of the Drive on my laptop.

2. froggyjo macrumors newbie

Yes - it's no problem. Just insert the DVD and agree to change the region setting. You can only change the region settings five times - which kinda sucks. After five changes, you will be locked in your last region.

3. CGagnon thread starter macrumors regular

CGagnon

thanks for the quick reply. There must be another problem then, because I did that before but it still isn't working. It works fine in my MBP but I can't get it to run in my DVD player.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

The stand alone DVD players usually do not allow you to hange the region code.

5. NJuul macrumors 6502

You are not changing the region of the disc, but of the drive. Thus on your mac, you changed the drive region to "India", and it plays.
    Your DVD player is probably region 1 (US), and can only play discs from that region. Your only options are to play the disc on your mac only, to find a way to change the region on your player (it is sometimes possible), or to rip your DVD, remove the region coding, and burn it back to a blank disc. Or of course get a new region-free stand-alone DVD player.

6. CGagnon thread starter macrumors regular

CGagnon

Okay, the DVD says it is region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 but when I put it in my DVD player it still says it can't play because of "area limitations"

I have tried ripping the DVD with Mac the Ripper, getting rid of the region code and burning it again, but it still says the same thing. Please, any more suggestions.

thanks.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You're probably trying to play a PAL disc in an NTSC-only player. The PAL DVD player spec requires NTSC disc support, but I don't think that the reverse is true. This isn't a region code issue, and as far as I know it cannot be worked around without re-encoding the video (with a resulting quality loss).

8. CGagnon thread starter macrumors regular

CGagnon

can you recommend any application for converting from PAL to NTSC?

edit: I'm giving MovieConverter a try

edit 2: Got it working! PAL vs. NTSC suggestion was spot on! Thanks!

/thread