Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lemondrops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Devon, England
I've looked on line and I'm really stuck.

I got a brand new Macbook Pro last week with Microsoft Office 2011 installed (from university).
They have given me the disc etc but when they installed the software they spelled my name incorrectly.

I have tried to follow the instruction here to change the name:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2394111

But, I cannot find this file - com.microsoft.office.plist anywhere on my mac.
Although I have found this file - com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist

I tried to change the information using Xcode as instructed here:
http://uniquemethod.com/change-the-registered-to-name-on-microsoft-office-for-mac
but since I do not have the com.microsoft.office.plist file it was pretty useless.

Also...I tried to see how far I can get with the following steps and I cannot find the Office Registration Cache and OLE Registration Database I wonder if I am looking in the wrong place.
Where should the Microsoft folder be?
I found a Microsoft Office 2011 folder under applications, and inside that folder is an Office folder.
Am I where I should be?

Help.
I know it is just a silly thing really but it annoys me that whenever I start word, excel, outlook and powerpoint I see my name spelled incorrectly.

Any advice?

PS. I've never used a Mac before so the system is still a bit new for me.

Last edited:

Q-chan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Boston, MA, USA
Look in ~/Library/Preferences

The file is under Library/Preferences in your home directory. However, Library is set hidden to protect the content against accidental modification.

You have to do:

In Finder, select "Go" in the menubar, then select "Go to Folder" in the menu.
A pop-up box will open to let you enter the path to the folder.
Enter (without the quotes): "~/Library/Preferences/" and click "Go"
In the opening Finder window, double-click the file com.microsoft.office.plist which should have a light icon. Make sure not clicking on the related lock file, which has a dark icon.

Good luck,

Manfred

yshwan

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
Hello. I tried the steps, and i am able to change the values using xcode.

however, when i click open the words, i still see the old name... is there anything that i have not done correctly?

After changing the value in xcode? just click the red button (x - exit) on the top left corner?

lemondrops

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Devon, England
Hello. I tried the steps, and i am able to change the values using xcode.

however, when i click open the words, i still see the old name... is there anything that i have not done correctly?

After changing the value in xcode? just click the red button (x - exit) on the top left corner?

Hi,

I double-clicked on the existing registered name in value (in my case my incorrectly spelt name), I then typed in what I wanted the registered name to be, then I hit enter to make it change. After that I just clicked the red x (exit) button like you.

I then restarted my computer and when it turned on again and I opened all the microsoft office programs, the name had changed.

Did you definitely have all microsoft office programs closed when you were changing the name?
Have you tried restarting the computer?

I'm no mac-expert - only had one for two weeks - so I'm afraid, that is all the advice I can give you.

Good luck.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
To see if the wrong info is entered in your User's folder or at the base level with Office, create a new User.

CREATE A NEW USER

Go to System Preferences > Create a New User in Accounts (Users & Groups). Switch to the New User by logging out under the Apple in the Menu bar or use Fast User Switching. Open Office applications and check name.

Do you still see the issue?

If yes, then the problem is with your base files.
If no, then the problem is in your User's folder.

If it is in your User's folder, start with the easiest place to change.

• Open Word
  • Select Word>> Preferences>> User information
  • Edit your User Information and select OK
  • Log out of Word then reopen to see if the proper changes have been implemented

Other places to check:
http://www.office.mvps.org/version/index.html#changename

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.