Change So My Mac Always Boots To This HardDrive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ClearRPG, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ClearRPG macrumors member

Hello, this is a problem that I have been having and cannot further continue mac usage until it is fixed. You must carefully read the following passage in order to understand my situation. Thanks in advance :D.

I have put Mac OS Lion on an external hard drive. I do not have administrator on it, there are no other users, hence there is no administrator account on it. So I cannot change any settings in preferences. So I cannot boot off my internal regular hard drive with 10.6.7 on it, while on Mac OS Lion. Unless of course I hold option while at the white startup screen. That gets annoying. So when I am on my regular internal hard drive with SL, and I restart for an update it brings me to my external hard drive, Mac OS Lion. I want to fix this! I want it so I always boot off my internal hard drive! I don't even want the other Mac OS Lion boot anymore.

So... The problem is my primary hard drive is an external one that I do not want to boot off of regularly now. I cannot change that because I am not administrator on that. I can still boot off my SL when restarting and holding option at the white screen but don't want to have to do that anymore.

Please help, sincerely ClearRPG.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Leaving aside the fact that you have a Lion install without an any users that for some reason you want to keep. (How the heck can you use it for anything without any user accounts?)

Your solution is pretty simple. You can do one of two things:
    1. When booted to your internal Snow Leopard drive, go into System Preferences->Startup Disk and make sure the Snow Leopard drive is highlighted. That should make the internal the default boot volume. This is the simplest route. -or-
    2. Unplug the external with the useless Lion install.

3. ClearRPG thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I will do #2 because as I stressed :eek:... I am not administrator, so I cannot highlight it, I cannot edit without an administrator pass which is, you know, there is no administrator. I don't want the Lion Install anyways. Thanks!

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I recommend BOTH 1 and 2. That will make sure your Mac doesn't get confused about which drive to boot from.