Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efsad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Hi everyone,

About a month ago, I got my first iAd-enabled app on the app store, since I wanted to see if iAds are more profitable than paid apps. When I set up iAd network, it asked me if my target audience is below 17 or above 17. My app is meant for use by anyone 1 to 100, so I just chose below 17 because I wanted to make sure I didn't get ads not appropriate for children or anything like that. Over the next month, I watched the performance of iAds and the fill rate was abysmally low. It didn't take much searching to figure out that the below 17 choice was a mistake. I contacted Apple, and they said:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Apple Developer Support regarding iTunes Connect.

Ratings can only be edited in scenarios where your newly set rating will be reviewed by Apple. These specific iTunes Connect states are called Editable states and are as follows:

Prepare For Upload

Waiting For Upload

Waiting For Review

Waiting For Export Compliance

Upload Received

Rejected

Developer Rejected

Invalid Binary

Missing Screenshot

Additional information regarding ratings can be found in the iTunes Connect Developer Guide:

<https://itunesconnect.apple.com/docs/iTunesConnect_DeveloperGuide.pdf

>

Thank you for your participation in our programs.

Luckily, I have version 1.1 on hand and ready to submit. So how to change the target audience to above 17? I created 1.1 in iTC, but it still won't let me change the settings. The status is "Waiting For Upload". Many thanks!

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
Apple need to make iAd so you just drag on drop the Ad onto your xib and select various settings.

Currently you have to put a various code in. I've reached a hiatus where I cannot figure out how to add iAd to my app.

Although I don't need anyone to point out "how I should study hard how to code", but one of the great things about the iPhone SDK is it's easy to make an app without knowing how to code... (I made mine following some tutorials but was learning a bit as I went along and was able to diagnose my own errors), no doubt probably a bad thing among developers who think that type of thing is making a mockery of their profession.

efsad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2011
Although I myself like coding, I do see your point Mitch1984. I've created a simple doc for my friends on doing it, and I put it below for you and anybody else who wants it. Also, I emailed Apple about my original question, they suggested I report it as a bug to the bug reporter, which I did. Hopefully they do something!

iAd doc:

How to iAds:

Add iAd Framework.

Import iAd Framework.

Add ADBannerView at very top in IB.

Place <ADBannerViewDelegate> after UIViewController and before { in ViewController.h

In the @interface portion of the ViewController.h file, place the following code:

ADBannerView *adView;
BOOL bannerIsVisible;

After the close of @interface, place this code:

@property (nonatomic, retain) IBOutlet ADBannerView *adView;
@property BOOL bannerIsVisible;

Switch to ViewController.m.

Right after @implementation, place this code:

@synthesize bannerIsVisible, adView;

Insert the following two methods after the @synthesize compiler directive:

- (void) bannerViewDidLoadAd:(ADBannerView *)banner {
if (!self.bannerIsVisible) {
[UIView beginAnimations:mad:"animateOn" context:NULL];
adView.frame = CGRectOffset(adView.frame, 0, 50);
[UIView commitAnimations];
self.bannerIsVisible = YES;
}
}

- (void) bannerView:(ADBannerView *)banner didFailToReceiveAdWithError:(NSError *)error {
if (self.bannerIsVisible) {
[UIView beginAnimations:mad:"animateOff" context:NULL];
adView.frame = CGRectOffset(adView.frame, 0, -50);
[UIView commitAnimations];
self.bannerIsVisible = NO;
}
}

Uncomment the viewDidLoad method. After { and before [super viewDidLoad] type:

adView = [[ADBannerView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectZero];
adView.frame = CGRectOffset(adView.frame, 0, -50);

adView.requiredContentSizeIdentifiers = [NSSet setWithObject:ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait];

adView.currentContentSizeIdentifier = ADBannerContentSizeIdentifierPortrait;

[self.view addSubview:adView];
adView.delegate = self;
self.bannerIsVisible = NO;

After - (void)dealloc { type this code:

adView.delegate=nil;
[adView release];

That's it! Be sure to enable iAd Network in iTunes Connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.