Change target of Home/Documents to Dropbox/Documents

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cltalmond, Jul 27, 2009.

1. cltalmond macrumors newbie

I would like to use a folder called 'Documents' located in my Dropbox folder instead of the standard Home/Documents folder, so that it is sync'd constantly with my other computers.

I have created this folder under Dropbox and put it in the sidebar for easy access, but was wondering if it's possible to re-direct the original Documents folder so that, when clicked, it takes me to Dropbox/Documents instead of the now-empty Home/Documents folder. The Windows equivalent would be to change the Target or Location under folder Properties.

I have tried the Dropbox hack that lets you sync folders outside of Dropbox, but found it didn't really work and it wouldn't show up with subdirectories on the Dropbox website or my other computers. A solution to that would be acceptable as well.

Thanks!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Just put an alias of the Dropbox/Documents folder in your Home folder in place of your Documents folder.

You can option-drag the folder to your home folder to create the alias easiest.

3. cltalmond thread starter macrumors newbie

But if I do that and try to delete Home/Documents, I get an error that this folder is required by Mac OS X and can't be deleted. Is there a way to just change what the Home/Documents folder points to when opened?

4. martintyler macrumors newbie

do it the other way around..

cd ~/Dropbox
    ln -s ../Documents

That will create a link in your Dropbox to your Documents folder

That's how i use it