Change the color of iTunes 5 interface

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
I found this link on digg.com.

Blog entry on how to change iTunes interface color.

I used Themepark in conjunction with PS Elements to change the color of the images.

The linked blog entry only says to change the color of a few resource IDs, but I changed the color of all the resource IDs from 1025 to 1131 to ensure the interface color is consistent for all views.

I made mine blue - check it out!

Attachments

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
It does look better "lighter."

Now if Apple can make a few changes to version 5.0.1 with it being lighter and with proper rounded corners, also a subdued lcd screen with gradient colour, all is great again. :)

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
That is really cool. Thanks for the info feakbeak . This will be my latest project for me to experiment with during the next few days before University starts.

Changing the colour looks better than adding some funky skin that someone else created.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
While that is cool, I wonder why apple didn't change the color of the music note in the iTunes ap icon. It's gone from multi colored to purple to blue to green but this time they didn't change it. I wonder why?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
jimsowden said:
While that is cool, I wonder why apple didn't change the color of the music note in the iTunes ap icon. It's gone from multi colored to purple to blue to green but this time they didn't change it. I wonder why?
I think it's because green clearly looks the best. When itunes was blue and purple (never had the 3 note version) I thought it looked terrible. And also iTunes has become so popular and well known now that they don't want to change the icon and confuse people.

I don't mind the colour as much, all I care about is getting rounded corners in the next update. It looks so funny when its the only squared window in OSX

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Counterfit said:
1) the first link is a 404 now.
As I mentioned this story was posted on digg and it spiked his bandwidth past what his hoster would allow. The link is correct and should be active once the traffic dies down, sorry.

I flipped through all the PICT resources and didn't find anything that looked like it would be used in the display.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
do I just take the rsrc file and put in the package contents of iTunes, renaming it to itunes.rsrc? Is there any other step than that?

I like what you've done with the blue, feakbeak.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
tobefirst said:
do I just take the rsrc file and put in the package contents of iTunes, renaming it to itunes.rsrc? Is there any other step than that?

I like what you've done with the blue, feakbeak.
That's all you need to do is drop in the .rsrc file and make sure it is named iTunes. You'll probably want to keep a backup of the original .rsrc file (or the entire iTunes.app) in case you want to revert back.

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I get an error message when I drop it into the package contents of iTunes. I try to open iTunes and it says that it cannot be opened because there is not enough memory (even though Activity Monitor says there is 2.54 gigs free). When I replace the original rsrc file, it works again.

I "get info" on the blue rsrc file, and under "Open with" it says Aatrix Top Pay...instead of the <None> like the original rsrc file. Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind...it's working now. Thanks!

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
feakbeak said:
As I mentioned this story was posted on digg and it spiked his bandwidth past what his hoster would allow. The link is correct and should be active once the traffic dies down, sorry.

I flipped through all the PICT resources and didn't find anything that looked like it would be used in the display.
Try ID 152 or 157 for display.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Mac_Freak said:
Try ID 152 or 157 for display.
It is 152, at least for the main and mini-mode views. I am not sure if 157 is even used at all. Thanks for pointing those out to me, completely missed them - serves me right for tying to hack apps after having a few drinks. :D

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I still don't like the sharpened corners.

I know they did it to gain more space for text, but I just.....don't find it attractive.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
I wish it was brushed metal again, although I must say that the white makes it look a lot better. I'll have to bookmark this page, because I think a nice, pink itunes skin is in order.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
although upon review it would be nice if the new mail matching color for iTunes could go to the pin-stripe look when not the front window like mail does, it would make this even better.