Change the LCS in a G5 Quad?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iModFrenzy, Mar 14, 2015.

1. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I have heard that the G5 Quad LCS is unreliable, since they are about 9 years old. I was wondering if it would be possible to use a Corsair H100 or something for the LCS in the Quad. I don't own a quad so I am not sure how they put the cooling on. Just curious if I ever pick one up.:)

2. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

If you're skilled enough, I'm sure it's possible. I imagine you'd have to fabricate a few parts that might require access to special tools.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

In principle I can't see why it mechanically wouldn't work with the correct adaptor to mount the CPU block. It's self contained and manages the pump/fan speeds itself.

I run an H100 in my gaming PC - it's very quiet and efficient.

4. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

So, hate to wake the dead, but has anyone got a different liquid cooling solution in their Quad yet? I have a single pump Delphi model in my Quad but the fans are loud all the time and both CPUs fail thermal calibration for overheat. Still boots and works though, but I have not put it to any real work to push it.

5. AphoticD macrumors 65816

AphoticD

I seem to be stating this regularly, but if your G5’s cooling system isn’t as effective as it once was, it’s time to renew the thermal paste, LCS or not.

6. MacSoftware3 macrumors newbie

MacSoftware3

I have exactly the same problem, can't calibrate the fans because of CPU overheat. I need to replace the thermal paste, I hope I get around to do it next week.