Change the name of my wireless/bluetooth mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SaltedV8, Mar 3, 2014.

1. SaltedV8 macrumors member

I have a wireless/bluetooth mouse that I got from someone else and I Want to change the name. I have perused the forums and found advice but nothing works for me.

I have gone to the System preferences/mouse/set up bluetooth mouse but it doesn't give me the option to change the name. I cannot right click on it, or when I do nothing happens.

I click on the Bluetooth option and go to the mouse option with the old name but It will not allow me to change it.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it something I am doing or am I doomed to keep the name that came with the mouse?

Thanks in advance for your help.

----------

OK, obviously I have done something wrong. I went and enabled the track pad to work at the same time the mouse was working and it would let me right click on the old mouse name. I was able to rename it.

The secret for me was to enable the track pad as well. That solved the problem.

I am leaving this up in case someone else came across the same problem.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

This may work:
    Open your System Preferences, then the Bluetooth pref pane.
    You should see a list of your devices. Click on the mouse, particularly if there is more than one device.
    Click the "gear" at the bottom left of that window, and click "Rename"
    Change the name to what you desire, and click Rename - and that should be it!

3. 01Cobra macrumors newbie

This is how I finally got my Mouse and keyboard renamed.

I had to first connect the keyboard and mouse to bluetooth.
    Then I had to go into the mouse settings and set it up to use the R click. (By default the check box is unchecked.)
    Next I was able to go back to Sys Preferences, then click bluetooth, then R Click on the keyboard and mouse. It gives you the options to Disconnect, Rename, or Remove. Click rename and then rename the device.

I believe this is something they may have changed with Mavericks. The older OS was different on how to change the name.

If your connecting your MBA to a wireless mouse or keyboard, you could have just used the track pad and R clicked and it would have given you those options.

4. yukyuklee macrumors 6502

yukyuklee

Yeah thats exactly what I had to do with mine except i went straight to sys prefs//bt and right click on them to rename