Change the RAM, get a SSD, or both?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oxband, Jan 19, 2014.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

I have a 17' inch MacbookPro from mid-2009. I had upgraded to 8GB of RAM, however when I brought my computer in for a repair last week, the company the Apple Store outsources to said the RAM was defective, and when the computer was returned they had put in new RAM, but 4GB of RAM (what the cmoputer originally came with.)

I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't give me more data about the defective RAM....but I guess I ought to trust the evaluation (famous last words...)

So, my computer is running a bit slower, especially since I'm often using Final Cut Pro and other programs at the same time.

I'm considering springing for new RAM to go back up to 8GB (the most I can do....) but I've also considered getting a SSD for the computer to speed it up.

Is it worth getting the RAM if I'll likely get the SSD? Or just put the money in the SSD? Again, I use Final Cut Pro a lot which is why I want to speed up my machine.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

SSD will speed up everything - inc swapping from RAM if you need to so if a choice I'd do that first.

3. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

Did they return your "defective" 8GB RAM? If they did, you can send it to the manufacturer/supplier for a replacement.

I would advise you to get an SSD first. It'll definitely be a major speed boost. Afterwards, if you feel the need, upgrade to 8GB RAM. But since you use Final Cut Pro a lot, you'll probably need the memory.

Regards
    Raptor

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Was the ram defective? Was that the cause of your issues?

I'd generally upgrade the ram before the SSD, because of the ease and cost. SSD will probably give you more instantaneous improvements however.

5. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

Change the RAM, get a SSD, or both?

I'd go for the SSD if you don't need more than 4GB at once.
    One thing I'm kind of surprised, though, is that many RAM brands have a lifetime warranty, which means if your RAM is defective you can send it back anytime and they'll either refund you or ship a replacement.

6. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Both.
    17" machines are an extinct beast, if I had one I'd upgrade it and make it last.
    If you can take it up to 16GB it'd be so worth it for Final Cut and an SSD... can't talk more highly of SSD technology. Your boot times, program boots and overall experience will be so much more fluid you'll realize you can't go back to a traditional Boot HDD.

7. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

SSD, but 16GB on this beast would be nice (if supported, I don't know if any 2009 Mac can use 16GB).

8. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

As everyone else in the thread has said, going to an SSD would make this machine feel brand new. It looks like 16GB RAM is only available as an unofficial upgrade on the 2010 and newer machines. Still, with 8GB that should be a really nice computer. I put an SSD and 8GB RAM in the low-end 13" model from that time and it felt faster than my brand-new, top-of-the-line 2012 model (which has since gotten the SSD treatment).