Change Time machine from 'read only'

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EricaV, Jan 8, 2012.

1. EricaV macrumors regular

EricaV

My time machine drive has been full for some time and it deletes old copies to make room for new ones- fine with me.

2 days ago though it said there was an error. Now it won't back up and somehow the drive was changed to "read only". This is my private PC and 250 gig external drive (the time machine drive). It has never been protected or read only.

Unfortunately I don't know how to change it back to "read and write". I did notice that it says I can still read and write in one area, but then it also says "you can only read" but perhaps the drive is treating me like "everyone", where it says "read only" and it should be treating me like "me".

Any help welcome !!

2. simsaladimbamba

Does it say READ ONLY here?

[​IMG]

If so, click the little lock icon on the bottom left to enter your password, then change the permissions, then click the little clog icon (looks like the ACTIONS icon in the Finder toolbar) and select "Apply to enclosed items".

Mac OS X - Setting Permissions

3. EricaV thread starter macrumors regular

EricaV

lock icon is not enabled

Thanks for your response. Yes it does say "you can only read" underneath permissions. But then under the name area it has my name as "Erica (me)" and it says I CAN read and write.

Unfortunately the lock icon is not responding when I try to click on it.