Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
My phone has been telling me I must change my unlock passcode within 60 minutes, 50 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. I've had an iPhone for more than 6 years and have never seen this?

I'm at the lake with poor cell coverage so my searches on the forum keep timing out.

Anyone know what this is?

7e4904b7d2f433b8b02e5cd958eb8d42.jpg

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Are you using your phone to connect to your works server?
It sounds like a requirement they might be pushing on the device.

I am but I've worked there for 2.5 years and haven't seen this before? I guess they could have changed something while I'm on vacation. I didn't see any notification as I currently shut the email portion off so as not to be bothered while on vacation. ;)

If that's the case, I'll have to remove my work account as it's a pain in the arse for the kids for the passcode to constantly change and be different than other devices in the house.

Reactions: Applejuiced

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Yes it's a security feature that's pushed by your works IT dept to keep company info safe.
Not sure if just disabling the email will do it or it's a more involved procedure than that.

The email portion has been disabled for over a week and I still got the message today. I've deleted the entire account now and haven't got the message since. Sucks to be them, they've just made me a less aware and potentially productive employee. ;)

They must have changed something while I've been away. I already have a 6 digit passcode, touch id, require passcode immediately, and erase phone after 10 attempts and my phone is never out of my sight. Them forcing me to change passcodes on my personal device is over the top. I had my work account set up to benefit them, not me.

Thank so much for the info. I wouldn't have thought to start there.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes it's a security feature that's pushed by your works IT dept to keep company info safe.
Not sure if just disabling the email will do it or it's a more involved procedure than that.
Unfortunately from some other threads about this it seems that people with nothing work-related have run into similar things.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The email portion has been disabled for over a week and I still got the message today. I've deleted the entire account now and haven't got the message since. Sucks to be them, they've just made me a less aware and potentially productive employee. ;)

They must have changed something while I've been away. I already have a 6 digit passcode, touch id, require passcode immediately, and erase phone after 10 attempts and my phone is never put of my sight. Them forcing me to change passcodes on my personal device is over the top. I had my work account set up to benefit them, not me.

Thank so much for the info. I wouldn't have thought to start there.

It's there loss. :)
Tell them you're not a big fan of that recent change.

Reactions: SnowDX

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
My phone has been telling me I must change my unlock passcode within 60 minutes, 50 minutes, 30 minutes, etc. I've had an iPhone for more than 6 years and have never seen this?

I'm at the lake with poor cell coverage so my searches on the forum keep timing out.

Anyone know what this is?

7e4904b7d2f433b8b02e5cd958eb8d42.jpg

This happened to me also. I looked it up and it seemed like it was some type of malware. Try this. http://www.businessinsider.com/passcode-requirement-iphone-bug-says-it-change-password-2016-5

Reactions: SnowDX

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i got this message today and was flipping out, i went to apple of course it didn't pop up so I changed my passcode.

Is there a definitive answer about this? Is it a weird apple thing or is it a malware?

Dwood1970

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
i got this message today and was flipping out, i went to apple of course it didn't pop up so I changed my passcode.

Is there a definitive answer about this? Is it a weird apple thing or is it a malware?
I do believe so. I know of people that actually let the clock expire to see what would happen and nothing actually did. I didn't do that but I did clear my cache and cookies and I didn't have the issue anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.