Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
Hi, dumb question... what's the easiest way to change your admin name and password if you're not going to reinstall OS X?

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question. I imagine I could figure this out pretty quickly, but I have been without a mac for a little while now and I'm going to purchase a 12" PB tomorrow that doesn't come with the install discs. I don't want to be trying to figure it out during the sale.

Thanks again!

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Which begs the question, why does Apple use the specific name for system level files? :rolleyes:

It doesn't beg the question, it raises it.

And, it doesn't use them for system level files, it just uses it for everything user-related. It doesn't matter if he deletes the account, as long as he creates another one first. There's no real need to have a "rename" functionality.

BA005

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
I am also trying to delete my account. So I set up a new admin level user name fine, but it wont let me delete my original one. How do I delete it?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

BA005 said:
I am also trying to delete my account. So I set up a new admin level user name fine, but it wont let me delete my original one. How do I delete it?

You need to log in with the new account and delete the old one while you are logged in as the new one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.