Change WEP key

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by opravdu, Feb 6, 2010.

1. opravdu macrumors newbie

I can't seem to change the WEP key on my iPod touch. I need to change the WEP key to get access to the internet. Where can I do this? On apples website they adviced me to change the WEP key on the router, but if I do this, I will have to set up alot of other devices.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The WEP key is a password to allow the iPod Touch onto the router. If this is wrong then the router will reject the device and you won't be able to get onto the internet.

To change the WEP key that your iPod Touch sends to the router then you need to go to Settings - Wi-Fi. From here select the network you wish to join, if it is password protected the iPod Tocuh will ask you to enter the WEP key.

If the iPod Touch has an old/incorrect WEP key stored then go to Settings - Wi-Fi then select the Wifi network you are on by pressing the little blue arrow and then press "Forget this Network". This will force the iPod Touch to ask you for the password again for that network.

3. opravdu thread starter macrumors newbie

It says it has already connected, but when i go to safari, youtube or the app store, it says it couldn't connect. I've tried, but it doesn't ask for a WEP key. There's a certain WEP key that has a password, which is the only one you can connect on. Would buying software 3.0 fix it?

4. opravdu thread starter macrumors newbie

5. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

6. opravdu thread starter macrumors newbie

SMC

Smcweb-n
    Draft 11n wireless access point ethernet client

That's what it says on it.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Trying doing a "reset" of the network settings.

settings->general->reset (scroll down)->reset network settings

This is your wifi you are trying to get on right?

Do you know the WEP Key for the network?

8. opravdu thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's 4. It can't be true I can't make my iPod use a specific WEP key...

Also, I did the reset, and as I expected nothing happened.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The WEP key is 4?

That sounds more like the channel, not the key (password).

When you go into settings you should be doing:

settings->wi-fi->other - unless yours shows up -> then enter the info. (like in the screen pic below)

Name: SSID of your net, that the router Broadcasts (or not if it is hidden)
    Security: choose what you are using WEP you say
    Password: the "key" you have set on the router for the devices to use.

Also, is there any chance on the router you or someone else set up MAC address filtering? you will need to enter your MAC address in that case.

Attached Files:

10. opravdu thread starter macrumors newbie

Aaaaahhhh, You're all talking about the password. Maybe it is the channel. But yeah, then it's the channel 4, not 1 as I think the iPod uses.

11. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The iPod isn't locked into one channel - it should pick up what is being broadcast by the router.

I can't even find a spot to SEE on the Touch what channel my net is with the regular settings.

Using wifi trak i can see the channel, but i don't need to know it to get on my net. And gee, my neighbors net is stronger than mine - they should turn that signal down! (they are over 100 feet away from my house - wherever they are)

12. opravdu thread starter macrumors newbie

Then why can't I use the app store?

It says it has connected and everything, but I simply can't use the internet. :confused:

Wow I'm F***** tired of this. Is there no way to change the channel?

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Because you are "connected" but not authenticated? I have that happen with public wifi that is prompting me for passwords and such.

Did you set up the router or did someone else?

you know the channel - but do you know the password?

Has it ever connected to wifi anywhere? Upgrading to 3.0 might help - there are threads on this around, but i'm hesitant to say you might have a major issue because i'm not clear that you are indeed typing the correct info in the right spots.

Maybe this can jump start you?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

14. opravdu thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, my mom set up the router, and all the info is correct. The only issue is the channel the iPod wants to use is something else than 4, and the router denies access.

15. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Have you turned off the router to reset it? Same for the modem?

So has it ever connected anywhere? That is a key element here.

OHHH, and does your mom know you are trying to get online? You aren't trying to circumnavigate her "security" are you? (I have to ask - as a parent).

ETA: Ohhhh, #2, she didn't happen to set it up as "N" only did she? It needs to be mixed or G, the Touch doesn't support N.

16. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

The iPod doesn't want to use any specific channel! It will connect to any channel the router is on!

All the info is obviously not correct, since you maintain that the password is "4", which it can't be because it's too short. It could be the channel, if you/your mother have looked in the wrong field in the routers settings, and read "Channel: 4". What channel it says doesn't matter whatsoever, since the iPod would connect to any channel anyway.

What you (your mother) should do is go into the routers settings and check specifically for this:
    * What password settings are used for wireless connections? Your router supports WPS, so you might wanna read this to know what you're looking for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

17. emt1 macrumors 65816

You need the WEP key, which the iPod touch refers to as the "password". The WEP key is set on the router information page, probably accessible at 192.168.1.1.

The channel does not matter.