Change what closing the lid does?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Diversion, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Is there a place where I can change behavior when I close the lid of my Macbook? For example, when it's plugged into power, I don't want it to sleep when I close the lid.. but I want it to act normal under battery (sleep when closing lid).

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Jay

2. kostia macrumors regular

If you have an external display connected and an external keyboard and mouse (USB or Bluetooth), the Macbook should run normally with the lid closed as long as it's plugged in. Otherwise, yes, it will sleep when you close the lid. That's just the normal behavior.

There's an app called SleepLess that purports to alter this behavior, disabling sleep with the lid closed, and also enabling SafeSleep (sort of an equivalent to Hibernate on Windows PCs), but it's not free, and I've never tested it. I just found it with a Google search on [macbook lid closed options].

http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

3. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

By itself, no you can't change the behavior, but there are third party options.

4. Samwise592 macrumors regular

you could use Insomnia X (find via versiontracker/macupdate)

DONT use the hibernate option, its known to break things... but the sleep option has worked fine for me since june.

5. Proft macrumors newbie

Solved

this works fine for me... fixed the issue... love it....thnx! @Samwise592