Change what the X button does?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NoSmokingBandit, Jan 3, 2009.

1. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

i used to keep Thunderbird in my dock and hidden so new mail messages would pop up on the badge thing. I installed the Gmail Notifier menu thing today and have removed T-bird from my dock. The problem is that every time i use t-bird, even if just to send a message, it stays in my dock until i go over and right-click->quit. Is there a line in a plist somewhere that determines how the app acts so i can change the X to make the app quit?

2. kolax macrumors G3

No - that's not how OS X works.

Use keyboard shortcuts. CMD+W to close that window, and CMD+Q to quit the application.

Really, using the cursor and clicking the red 'x' really isn't a work efficient method.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you just click on the red x, the application only releases the window and it's memory, it does not unload the application, so you're wasting memory.

4. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

The thing is, some apps quit with the X, so there must be a setting somewhere in the app that determines if the X quits the app or leaves it open yet in the dock.

I dont need a lecture on how efficient my workflow is. It works for me and i like it. If you dont know how to change this setting then dont tell me the way i work is incorrect. You arent solving the problem or helping to solve it.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Because some applications will only have one window, iPhoto for example. Closing it will quit the application because there isn't any other windows that could be open or opened.

And calm your horses - I didn't give you a lecture, and I didn't say it was incorrect.

Maybe in future if you want help, you should be grateful people actually to help you.

Telling you to use CMD+Q instead of clicking the red 'x' is definitely helping you solving the problem. If you can't see that, maybe you shouldn't be using computers.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Would you like a lecture on installing more RAM instead? ;)
    Seriously, I would not expect anyone here to offer a "solution" to what you're mentioning regarding T-Bird and quitting, but with more RAM in your computer you won't have worry about using more memory. Or otherwise figure something out cause the X cannot be changed.

7. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

Developers (like me) can make it that when you close the window, it quits the application so there really isn't anything you can do unless you can make the developers add that feature..

8. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I have 4gb ram, i think i have it covered. I dont give a crap about the ram usage, i just dont need T-Bird taking up dock space when im not using it, im kind of a minimalist. In fact, right now i have just Firefox, Cog, and Finder in my dock. And Trash, of course.
    So the X functionality is hard-coded int he binary then? Bleh... thats rather inconvenient.

The first part of your post is incorrect. AppZapper is a single-window app and hitting the X just closes the windows but keeps the app open.

I'll be grateful for your help when you help me instead of telling me to change the way i work. More often then not on this forum i see people with problems just being told to work differently instead of actually solving the problem. I dont mean to sound rude here, but its something that really pisses me off. I know how the freaking key-combos work, bt if i wanted to use them i wouldnt even be here asking this question, so logically one could assume that all i want is an asnwer to my question, not someone telling me to change the way i operate.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Actually, using Command + Q is helping you solve your issue. It quits the application rather than closing the window.

Like QueenZ said, it's the developers choice on how their application works. There is no preference or plist line that you can change to make the x button quit the application rather than close the window.

10. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Once again, no. If someones car stops running you dont tell them to ride a bike, you tell them how to fix their car.

Regardless, the function is apparently hard-coded which is the answer i was looking for. Thank you QueenZ

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

What the hell are you talking about?

No one is trying to change your workflow. You can not change the function of the x button. Kilamite was merely trying to help you by giving you a work around.

By the way, I'm guessing you didn't read the rest of my previous post.

12. kolax macrumors G3

Windows? Or window?

Anyway, as said, it is up to the developer, but following Apple's conventions, clicking the red 'x' will close the window and not quit the application unless that is the only window that will ever be open.

Changing the way you work will solve your problem.

But if you want to continue being arrogant, then go ahead, you'll get no where.

13. NoSmokingBandit thread starter macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Window, sorry, stupid typos strike again!
    Im not being arrogant, i just want to change the OS to suit my needs. I suppose im used to linux and windows where there is at least a little bit of customizability (is that a word?). I'm slowly learning that on OSX you do things one way or you dont do them at all...

14. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it has a module already for what you want, but you can have a look at Unsanity's Application Enhancer.

15. kolax macrumors G3

Well, OS X is a different OS as you said. It has different ways of doing things.

Once you get used to the new ways and keyboard shortcuts, then you'll understand why these ways are much better.

The way the left hand sits on the keyboard, makes hitting CMD+W or Q very easy. In Windows, if you want to do the same, it is ALT+F4, which is one heck of a hand movement, and because of that, I always click the red "X" in Windows just because the keyboard shortcuts aren't suiting the hand.

You're best learning the OS X way rather than trying to keep your Windows techniques. They are different operating systems, and you have to get used to that.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Can I still lecture you about it? After reading over this thread you are heading into a brier patch with these guys. As far as being minimalist maybe hide the dock? Not a whole lot of options here guy, other than not let it bother you.