Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jimray, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jimray macrumors member

Hi, I'm trying to follow below, but having some trouble with number 4. I have three short questions.

1 In that tab i have "DNS Servers" on the left and "Search Domains" on the right. I am to only change "DNS Servers" correct?

2. In both panels there is 1 line each. Both are greyed out. Can I just add
    Primary DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
    Secondary DNS Server: 208.67.220.220
    and leave the greyed out one in?

3. I am currently connected to the internet via ethernet cable. But I am usually connected via wifi. Can I change them both now, or should i actually be connected to that type to make changes to it.

Thanks for the guide GGJstudios!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Correct.
    Yes. Read step 5 in those instructions.
    Change them for whatever connection you're using. If ethernet, set the DNS servers in Ethernet > Advanced > DNS. Remember to set them in your router, as well.

3. jimray thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, i changed it in OSX, as for the router, I looked around in the settings after typing my ip addy in there, but i didn't see an anything to do with DNS, but I got a junky bell modem/wifi built in, thinking of getting a real wifi router maybe.

4. rosschang macrumors member

Just modify the router's setting. leave everything on ur OSX stock.

using Google DNS now.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Leaving the settings stock on the MacBook won't help if they travel and connect to other networks. It's better to change both.
    Google DNS servers aren't blocking the Flashback trojan, as OpenDNS servers are.