Changed apple ID, how to get it to change in Finder?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyle1320, Aug 10, 2011.

1. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

I just changed my Apple ID from one E-mail to another, but Finder still shows the old one (where all my stuff goes.) How do I change this? I tried going to Preferences > Users > Apple ID and logging in with the new E-mail, but nothing changed. I have tried restarting multiple times, too. Anyone know how? It just annoys me, but I would really appreciate it if I could change this. Thanks

2. Centsy macrumors regular

If you are talking about your user folder, I don't think you can change it. You would have to create a new user account.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That's not your Apple ID, that's your computer's username (short name, to be more specific). There are ways of changing it, but if you're a novice user as I'd assume, it's probably safer just to leave it alone.

jW

4. kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

Somewhat a novice, yes, not completely blind though. If you could tell me how to do this, or point me to somewhere with a tutorial, it would be very helpful. Do you mean just creating a new profile and moving everything, or something more complex?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's a bit more involved than that.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

"The shortname can contain up to 255 characters..."

How in heaven is that a short name?! :eek:

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Beats me.

8. kyle1320, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

Thanks, worked perfectly. My windows even reopened when I logged into the new account. I need to relink my Dropbox folder, though. Only 'problem' I've seen so far. :)

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Funny that your signature mention google, as that's what I used to find this, I googled "changing home directory name snow leopard", came upon a thread on this website with this link posted a few posts from the top.

10. kyle1320 thread starter macrumors regular

kyle1320

Hm, I Googled a few different things and couldn't seem to find directions. Apparently you're better at searching than me. :p