Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
Hello again,

I have a couple of POP3 email accounts on my own domain. I use my iPod (6) and iPad Mini (2) to download emails but leave them on the server. When I access those accounts on my laptop however I choose to download them off the server.

Up to iOS8.4.1 I had no problems; emails would stay on the iDevice after they'd been downloaded from the server. Now all I get is the subject, sender, date, time and a line that says "This message has not been downloaded from the server."

But not for every email! Some are still on the devices, intact. If I were to guess I'd say it's because they are shorter, text-only messages rather than vouchers and advertising emails (which I'd still like on my devices, sometimes). But I don't understand why Mail is re-searching for those messages on the server once they have been brought onto the iDevice; I can't see a Setting anywhere that might control this.

Does anyone else have a similar set up? Is it working as it should for you?

Gary

Reactions: dk001

Jvjlite

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2015
I am having this same problem. It just started on 9/18/15. I can't seem to find an answer for this either. I ended up just deleting the messages that were affected on my iDevices (iPhone 6 and iPad Air), while keeping these on my Mac in mail. I'm waiting to see what/if something else will be affected this coming week. If anyone has an answer, please, please help!

rorygmw

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2015
I am having the same problem on both my iPhone and my iPad. When emails first come in, I can read them just fine, but in a few hours, trying to access them again brings up that "This message has not been downloaded from the server" message. I can still access them by going to my server's website, but it's really a nuisance. I've been all over the net looking for someone with a solution, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows what to do. Apple appears to be tight lipped on the subject. I'm hoping they will fix this problem soon. My son advised me not to upgrade for a few weeks when one becomes available, and I think that's good advice. He doesn't have much faith in Apple's ability to deliver glitch-free upgrades. I should mention he's a computer engineer.

Jvjlite

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2015
My server is @verizon.net. Do we have this in common? Just trying to eliminate a server problem vs an iOS 9 problem.

Last edited:

Catnfidl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
San Francisco
My server is @verizon.net. Do we have this in common? Just trying to eliminate a server problem vs an iOS 9 problem.

Having the same problem with all the POP3 accounts on my iPhone 6+, using various servers, so not a server issue. In Googling about, I see that this has happened to other folks with previous upgrades as well. I've checked the settings on my iPhone, there really isn't anything to change. I hope someone can help with this...

Fi1962

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
I am having the same problem on both my iPhone and my iPad. When emails first come in, I can read them just fine, but in a few hours, trying to access them again brings up that "This message has not been downloaded from the server" message. I can still access them by going to my server's website, but it's really a nuisance. I've been all over the net looking for someone with a solution, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who knows what to do. Apple appears to be tight lipped on the subject. I'm hoping they will fix this problem soon. My son advised me not to upgrade for a few weeks when one becomes available, and I think that's good advice. He doesn't have much faith in Apple's ability to deliver glitch-free upgrades. I should mention he's a computer engineer.

Am having exactly the same problem with iPad!! Very annoying. Is this specifically an iOS 9 issue or something else as have occasionally had similar issues before?

Last edited by a moderator:

Catnfidl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
San Francisco
Am having exactly the same problem with iPad!! Very annoying. Is this specifically an iOS 9 issue or something else as have occasionally had similar issues before?

In searching on Google, I've seen this problem mentioned with previous upgrades. In my case the email details are often still there as they show up in the preview. I researched last night thinking it might have to do with the ability to turn off push email, but that didn't do it. There's got to be a weird switch...

Catnfidl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
San Francisco
I just talked to Desmond at Apple, he sees that other people have reported the same issue, and they're working on it. I would suggest that we should be squeaky wheels and all contact Apple through their website, they called me right away.

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
It's probably Apple fixing something that ain't broke - hopefully it'll be right again on 9.0.1, or 9.1. My POP3 accounts are on my own domain, not one of the big-name tech companies.

Gary

Mikester007

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
I left mine ON the server, w POP3. (For a Just-In-Case event like this.)
It wont retrieve them again. Gone forever?

Heavy Dude

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
Got this problem too. Never seen it before on other iOS updates, but if I Google it, people back in 2012, 13 etc have
had the problem too..
Hope Apple fixes this soon as you never know which emails you can access on your devices..
Quite annoying..

Mikester007

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Just got done with them. The ios upgrade needed memory, so it used memory from the cache, which just-so-happens to be email content. The email content is merely cached, and not saved like a file, pic, song.

So, all the content of your emails is fair-game for Apple to use or delete however they wish.
Hopefully from my tone, you will garnet that I am less than satisfied with their response.

Oh, and they would never take any responsibility for deleting the content of my emails.
Just stated they would send me info on how POP3 works, multi devices (iPhone and Outlook on PC in my case), and the freqin' iphone manual.

Reactions: Yorkshire Lad

Catnfidl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
San Francisco
I had a feeling it was a memory-saving issue, but it's interesting to know that the memory steals from the mail. Is there any way to set that? Or reduce memory usage on other things?

Mikester007

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
I had a feeling it was a memory-saving issue, but it's interesting to know that the memory steals from the mail. Is there any way to set that? Or reduce memory usage on other things?

According to them, the cached memory on the iPhone (email content) is not blocked off or partioned in an area that's inaccessable to their operating system. (apparently, when doing an ios upgrade) So when the ios upgrade needed (or just wanted) space, it used the cache memory area (email content).

<soapbox>
I vehemently objected to this because I had just relieved my iphone of all pics and vids due to a recent vacation to the Rockies. There should have been no reason or need to dip into that memory area.

Honestly, I think they screwed up (debug switch left on?) and just choose to blow it off with "Dont save emails on your iphone because of the way that POP3/IMAP/email works" as the official response/excuse.

I had most of these emails "Flagged", so I thought they would be a higher priority to the system. No, all are fair game.

It's interesting to read that others lost content during earlier ios upgrades. (red herring?) I had large amounts of pics and vids, (as well as music), and lost no content ever before.
</soapbox>

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The weird thing for me is that the emails are mostly still there. I can see them in the preview but they're empty when I open them.

Saw the same on my Mini 3 (64GB). The previews were there but not the content.
Now, after resetting my Mini due to other issues, this still hold true. Many emails (most) show the subject but the body is blank.

Reactions: Mikester007

Catnfidl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
San Francisco
Can it be that iOS 9.0.2 fixed this? The old ones aren't coming back, but new ones seem OK, just wish Apple had acknowledged the issue.

Mikester007

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Can it be that iOS 9.0.2 fixed this? The old ones aren't coming back, but new ones seem OK, just wish Apple had acknowledged the issue.
My guess would have been the iOS 9.0.1 that came out the next day after 9.0.0 had the "oops" fix.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

Nope o_O
Some emails I have all info
Some emails I have no info
Some emails I have frames but no info in the frames
IMG_0045.PNG

It looks like 9.0.2 changed something but the email problem is still there :mad:

Last edited:

Yorkshire Lad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Leeds
Well... I have one message fine on my iPad Mini 2 which is not there on my iPod 6. The iPod has more memory, I thought?

It was a Facebook friend request, so nothing special about the format, size or content.

Edit: we are all using the default Mail app, aren't we? Has anyone got a similar issue using a different App? I have Outlook but it doesn't seem to have an option to set up a POP3 account (unless I've missed it).

Gary

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.