Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
so i just got my macbook a month ago and already i screwed it up. some files appeared locked that i moved from my pc to my mac, mostly jpeg's, so i tried changing some things (which i know now can really screw up my computer). i changed disc permissions and it froze up, but the it seemed fine... until i rebooted and nothing would load. long story short i went through some troubleshooting and after i figured out how to run disc utility it could not repair itself. so now i have to wait for my lion thumb drive to get here and ive already erased the stuff i had on the hard drive (followed steps provided by apple in order and none worked). i tried downloading it from online but i am deployed overseas with horrible internet and disc utility could not repair even with reinstalling lion from the internet. SOOOO... as long as i get the lion thumb drive WHICH I HAD TO PAY FOR i should be okay right? like i said i already erased everything from the hard drive from disc utility but encountered errors while trying to download lion. i will post an update when i get my lion thumb drive and hopefully it works, i didnt have anything important on my MBP besides a couple apps and games that i can download from my purchased window in the app store. but still, a total pain in the ass and really only one question because it seems like a lot of novice users (like myself coming from a long line of PC's and totally unfamiliar with things like single user mode and commands etc etc) are havinb the same problem, so my question being. WHY!?!?! why is this happening and is this normal.

Last edited:

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
no it didnt but im assuming that was because of my internet connection through a usb drive... i have no other options where i am at. so i shelled out the $70 for the thumb drive that i am waiting on now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.