Changed email address, iMessage won't work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scharah, May 19, 2013.

1. scharah macrumors member

Hi, bit of help needed!

I recently got a new email address (changing my 16 year old email name to a more professional address!) and now imessage won't send any messages from my macbook pro.

I changed my icloud and itunes account to be the new email, so I'm assuming I have to do this for imessage but I don't know how.

I tried to add a new account, I assumed it was supposed to be 'google talk' as I don't have AIM or jabber (as far as I know?!) so did this and entered the new email address and password, but messages still will not send, and all my conversations simply read 'offline' down the left hand side of the window, rather than showing the message conversations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Sarah.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Did you change it on an iOS device or on your MBP? I know you can add multiple email addresses for use with iMessage, but I've only done it on my iPhone.

At any rate, I hope this page from Apple will sort matters for you.

3. scharah thread starter macrumors member

I got a new gmail address on my MBP.

I went on to itunes and changed the email address of my itunes to account to be the new one. However I think the problem is that this doesn't seem to have changed the Apple ID on the iphone.

My iphone is having a melt down - it can't back up to icloud when I try and sync it, and every two seconds my iphone pops up with a message asking me to enter the AppleID password for my old email address, even though on my MBP I've changed my apple ID to be under the new email address. Syncing doesn't seem to have changed this.

If, on my iphone, I go into Settings > iCloud > Account, it won't let me change the email address of my AppleID. I'm surprised it's not changing the email address after being synced on itunes though, as the AppleID on my itunes (on my MBP) is assigned to my new email address.

All very confusing!

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Hmm. I'm not sure changing it through iTunes will do the trick. See if going to this page on Apple's site will let you log in with the new email address and your old password. Or if that doesn't work, try here.

On your iPhone, do you see anything like the screenshot that I've attached?

Attached Files: