Changed file types, but not the icons

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dameem, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Dameem macrumors newbie

The image says it all, I changed the file type for all the files, but the icon image didn't change. I did it to only 1, but i can't use that method for every single file in my computer. How can i change the icon pic for all icons??

Attached Files:

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

One easy way would be to use CandyBar.

So, you want all of the .mp3 files to have the 'X' kind of logo, rather than the iTunes one?

3. Dameem thread starter macrumors newbie

I want all of them to have the DivX player icon instead of the iTunes. As you can see, I've tried candybar and restarted it but nothing happens. The picture shows that there is a DivX player icon above the itunes, but the icons are all the same as you can see. I'm sure there's a way to do it without an external software.

Now the other problem is that even the iTunes player icon has changed to a DivX player icon. I don't think this app is going to help.

Attached Files:

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Ahh, that's because you've changed the iTunes application icon, rather than the .mp3 icon.

I believe that you can change the .mp3 file type icon with Candybar, but perhaps not (try the App Extras tab). If not, you might want to look in your System Library to see where those icons are stored.

5. Dameem thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I didn't find extras tab and there's nothing in the systems library, I guess I'll just let it be:cool:

1 thing which is funny though, when i click the apply all when i right click the icon and choose the get info option and choose itunes, when i restart my comuter, all of them would have the itunes icon. But when i do the same with DivX, all of the icons will be white colored.

6. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

As I recall, files will (sometimes) by default take the icon of the app that they are associated with. So if iTunes is your default app for opening mp3s, they'll have the iTunes logo. If you go into Get Info and change the default app to DivX Player, it should change the icon of the mp3. Of course, that's only feasible if you're ok with them opening in DivX Player. Unless that's what you already tried and I misunderstood you.

7. Dameem thread starter macrumors newbie

I am ok with them in opening with DivX and that is what I actually tried, you did miunderstood me:)

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Here's the Application Extras tab I'm talking about in Candybar. Drag iTunes into the top window (as directed) from the applications folder, and you'll get the icons shown below. Then, you can replace those .mp3 icons with whatever you like.

[​IMG]