Changed HD permissions. Mac won't get past the blue screen on boot..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr. Syntax, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Mr. Syntax macrumors newbie

In trying to modify user permissions for network trouble shooting, I went into my Get Info option on my Macintosh HD and changed the permissions of "Everyone" from "Read Only" to "No Accesss".
    After doing that*, my Mac won't boot past the blue screen but will successfully boot in single user mode.

To worsen things:
    *This is my only computer besides the public library.
    *I don't have install DVDs.

Doing a fsck -yf did not solve the problem.
    Attempting to run diskutil gives an error message "unable to run because unable to use the Diskmanagement framework" "the diskarbitration framework beig unavailable to being booted in single user mode".

So my question is: Is there a way to reverse the mess I made from single user mode?. I'll be searching the series of tubes for an answer but I'm also aware that there are some CLI gurus around here.

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Modernape macrumors regular

You do have a backup (Time Machine or a clone) I hope?

3. Mr. Syntax thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't. When i bought my computer the software came pre-installed on my machine and i never got installation discs.

4. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Get an install DVD and repair permissions. Or repair permissions from the command line.

5. Mr. Syntax thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I repair permissions from the command line?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

How could you possibly repair permissions from the command line if you cannot even boot the system at all?

The OP needs a valid install DVD or a retail DVD. Be warned that a re-install is often the only way to completely fix the problem.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it's the blue screen you're stuck at, try booting into safe mode by holding down the shift key on start up. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to get an install disc and repair permissions.