Changed HD Permissions - Work mac - Big Trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Heisler98, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Heisler98, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Heisler98 macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro middle-2010 model with a 240Gig HD. I changed permissions on the HD b/c I needed an administrator account full access to several others and thought that it would be easier to just change the permissions on the entire drive. I allowed me and several other administrative accounts full access to the entire drive and said 'Apply to enclosed items'

Now I know what that does. I'm stuck at the loading screen, and I've tried both Verbose and Single-User, even Safe boot.

Verbose comes up with:
    launchctl: Dubious ownership on file (skipping): /Library/LaunchDaemons
    launchctl: Dubious ownership on file (skipping): /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
    launchctl: Dubious ownership on file (skipping): /etc/mach_init.d

I've tried 'diskutil repairPermissions /' and some other chmod commands. Nothing has worked. (diskutil b/c I'm in single-user mode) I don't have access to the OS disks RIGHT NOW, and I'm going on vacation and I need it working by tonight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, I do have access to the root account, and I am an administrator (you should've probably inferred that by now)

Could you also tell me if you think the OS disks would help? I imagine that the DiskUtility framework wouldn't be accessible b/c it's in single-user mode when you boot to repair...am I wrong? Don't know. Thx.

Thanks
    Hunter

EDIT: Okay, JUST SAW the 'Mac won't boot' wiki post. Sorry to all who I aggravated.

2. baekalfen macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same issue. What wiki are you refering to?

3. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Can you boot of your installation media or use the recovery partition by pressing Command + R

Verify the disk permissions there using Disk Utility