Changed HDD - Noisy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RandomMacBob, Oct 8, 2010.

1. RandomMacBob macrumors newbie

I bought a MBP13 with a 250 GB. I noticed that the HD is a Seagate 250 GB 5400 rpm. So i thought I would upgrade it to a Seagate 500 Gb 5400 rpm(Momentus). Now the noise is noticeable. Not much, but you can hear it.

Should a 500GB harddisk be more noisy than a 250 Gb? I thought it would be the same. The only difference I saw between the two harddisk is that the old HD had a Apple logo on it. Otherwise its the same brand and model, just with a higher capacity.

If I had upgraded at apple would I have been rid of the noise or is this just something that follows along with the higher capacity?

2. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Did you install it right? Did you put the mounting screws from the old one on the new one?

3. RandomMacBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

Actually, first I bought a Scorpio Black 7200 rpm which was too loud. Then I switched back to the 250 GB default installed one, and it was quiet again. Today I received the 500 Gb momentus with 5400 rpm.
    It is not as loud as the Scorpio but it makes more noise than the default that was installed.

If I place my hand under the directions keys the noise is smaller.

The noise is very little. Just a very small fan/humming sound. But the default installed one, the noise was non existent(had to put ear down to hear it).