Changed HDD - started to hear my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZzBoG, Aug 9, 2009.

1. ZzBoG macrumors member

I used to have 160GB 5400 HDD untill today's morning..

Now there's WD Scorpio BLue 500GB installed in my MBP.

And I can hear some silent noise, coming from that HDD. I mean my previous, low-capacity 160GB Hitachi was just silent (no noise at all!!)

Is there anything, that can be done about it?? I mean if I had known, I should've gone for 7200.4 500GB Momentus!!

I still hope there are some tweaks, that can silent my HDD... Are there?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know what you mean but saying some silent noise makes absolutely no sense.

Anyways, there's possibly a couple of reasons why the HD is noisier, one is that the bearings need time to seat properly and after a little while it will quiet down. The other reason is that its just a noisier drive and there's little you can do to dampen the sound.

Unless the noise is loud, I'd not get too worked up about it.

3. Z06jerry macrumors regular

WD Scorpio BLue 500GB is noisy

There has been a lot written here about noisy WD Scorpio Blues. Try searching. The constant low level whooshing noise was annoying and I also had the head parking clicking sound every 10 seconds in my '09 MBP. I took mine out and now use it in an external case for TM. I went back to the stock Fujitsu which is much quieter. Others are also reporting that the Hitachi HD's are quiet too. Maybe this is why Apple uses these 2 brands.;)

4. ZzBoG thread starter macrumors member

After some time the noise became a less noticeable, I can call my MBP almost silent.

If it's gonna be this way in the future, I'll be keeping the drive.

And I am very picky here, since my MBP is on all the time and serves as an alarm clock in the morning.

5. syriangamer macrumors newbie

The WD and Seagate ARE more audiable than the original. I have a quick DIY method for silencing over at my blog :cool: here. However, after some quick reading it would seem that the quietest option might be to buy

a) a smaller hd, or
    b) buy hitachi/fujitsu

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Wouldn't a real alarm clock make more sense than burning your mac's circuitry 24/7?

7. Dan73 macrumors 6502a