changed keychain login name, restarted, and all my data seems to be gone!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Khalib303, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Khalib303 macrumors newbie

Hi,

First off I'm fairly new to macs but learning more everyday (this is the first one I have owned, yay!) so please bear with my ignorance. Also I did search for the answer to my problem using the forum search feature, and read the sticky post and troubleshooting guide before starting this thread so sorry if this has been covered else where.

I bought a MPB 2.4, 2gb ram, 160hd, OSX 10.5, used from someone locally and because he had already put a lot of expensive software on there he suggested i just kept it as is and not reinstall 10.5, so I did that and starting using it and had no problems, now when I changed the keychain login name and restarted everything is gone and it's as if I reinstalled the OS.

Now after snooping around I found my documents and music in the users folder with the previous owners name, THANK GOD!!! What I'm wondering is if I can somehow restore my settings, preferences, my itunes library and get the icons I have added back on the dock (without doing it one by one), basically is there a way to restore everything the way it was??? :confused:

Any help/advise is very much appreciated,

Thanks in advance
    Khalib

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Maybe someone else can help with settings and such, however iTunes & iphoto libraries can be transfered, without re-adding, sorting, and everything else that iTunes takes forever doing (at least for large libraries)

iPhoto - the library file should just say "iphoto library" or something in the pictures folder. It is a single file that is the size of your entire photo library. (say if you have 500MB of photos, the file will be around 500MB. )Replace the iPhoto library file in your new home folder, with the old library file. alternatively, if you wish to use multiple libraries, or use one in a different location. Open iPhoto and hold the "option" key, this should prompt you to choose a library, or create a new one. just point it to the other library file.

iTunes. Copy the entire "iTunes" folder, and place it in your new "music" directory. iTunes will check the default location for a library, just like iPhoto, and you'll have the entire library, all music already added, sorted, etc.. . Alternatively, just like in iPhoto, you can select or create new libraries by holding "option"

icons may be a pain to re-do, but you basically created a new user, so I don't know if there is a way to transfer just the settings and icons and such, without transfering everything (user name n all) to a new account.

3. Khalib303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help! I have moved my itunes library and photos/documents etc. to my new profile. Thank you

Does anyone know how I might be able to restore the settings/preferences before I created a new user profile? Also any way of getting my firefox bookmarks back? I was happy with the way everything was before. Even if I have to restore the previous profile/keychain login name I would do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    K