Changed my internal HD, now the fan is always on - why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shopbot999, Jun 14, 2011.

1. shopbot999 macrumors newbie

This happened with my previous 17" Macbook Pro. I had switched out the internal HD for a larger one, and the fan ran often. Now, I have a new 17" MB Pro and switched the 500GB that it shipped with, with a WD 1TB. The fan never, came on, except when visiting odd sites with video. I just put in a 750GB WD Scorpio 7200rpm drive this morning, and the fan is almost always on, sometimes loudly. Anyone have any ideas on why different HDs affect the fan operation and what I can do about it? Thanks for any clues...

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

3. shopbot999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rear vents are not blocked. The different HD specs seem to be triggering the fan. Any other input on this?

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The issue may also be that the new drive doesn't have the correct sensors, or Apple firmware on it. Did you used Disk Utility to setup the drive, or just clone your previous drive? You also could have disconnected the HD sensor, and without the appropriate sensors connected, the fans will run all the time, just to make sure.

TEG

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try resetting the SMC, as suggested?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Could be a noisy hard drive, the scorpio black is known for it's noise level. Sounds very like a laptop fan.