Changed my Name under Accounts>Advanced Options...Is all Good?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HappyDude20, Aug 16, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I just installed OS X on my new Macbook Pro, on my 500GB HD installed within it.

During the set up process it asked me to add my name and also the name I want it to show up in the finder, as my main home folder.

I put in my name, "JohnSmith" but just regretted it. Iono, just did.

So once I was using Leopard I opened up System Prefs., went to "Accounts" saw my name on the left pane and right clicked "Advanced Options."

In there is gives me the warning that changing these settings could cause damage, so figured I'd ask here if what I did is all good or if any problems might arise.

Under Advanced Options I changed my short name from "JohnSmith" to "Smith"

And the Home Directory from: /users/johnsmith to... /users/smith

I restarted the machine and logged in fine, however figured it was worth asking.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Apps that are expecting your old home directory name will have some issues as well as any links that used it. Some apps will handle it fine and you'll just need to reset some things, for other apps they will crash and you'll need to reinstall them. If you use Time Machine, it'll have to backup your entire home directory again. You might want to give this article a once over.

3. Acenry macrumors newbie

Hello... I did exactly the same on my brand new iMac, changed short name and home directory.

After a reboot the Mac asked for user password (automatic login was enabled previously) and the few preferences I had modified before (mouse speed...) were reset.

It created a new home directory with the correct name and everything looks ok. I deleted the "wrong" home directory, re-enabled automatic login and changed a few preferences. Rebooted and everything seems to be working.

I didn't install any application yet, it just downloaded a lot of system updates.

Is there anything that may go wrong in the future because of this "procedure"?