Changed my unlimited data plan for new iPad...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daitalianjob, Mar 13, 2012.

1. daitalianjob macrumors regular

I literally just changed my iPhone 4 unlimited data plan ($30 a month) to the 5GB data pro plan ($50 a month) with tethering to use with my new WiFi only 64GB iPad 3rd generation. It's cheaper than if I bought the 4G iPad and a data plan. It will be more than enough data for both devices for me and I save some $ while still getting internet data access on my iPad when I'm away from a WiFi hotspot. Did I make the right choice? I don't use close to 5GB a month on my phone and I am usually always near a WiFi hotspot, so I figure 5GB is more than enough. What do you think?

2. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

personally I would never cancel my unlimited data plan on my iPhone.

I do not want to give up something that is no longer obtainable, and the day they take it away from me I will switch carriers.

But honestly, you could have jailbroken your iphone and used your unlimited plan to tether for free.

Also you are now paying 20 dollars a month more when you could have payed that for the 4G iPad. Now youre stuck with 3G speeds and only 5GB for all devices.

I dont know. Personally I still have my unlimited on my phone, and will be paying monthly for the 4G service on my verizon iPad. Tethering included for free :D

3. codeboye macrumors member

Thinking about doing the same.

I'm honestly thinking about doing the same. However, I did get the iPad 32gb with Verizon. I just want coverage where my AT&T won't :)

4. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but I am not a freak about data speed and 3G isn't that bad to be honest. Also, I don't want to jailbreak my phone; just don't want to for some reason. I am fine with the tethering because when the 4G network comes to the new iPhone later this year, which I'm getting, I'll be tethering 4G.

5. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I thought jail-breaking is now a crime?

6. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I keep reading things and had some friends get in trouble for it (they tethered) so I figured ehh what the heck it's $20 a month more and it's pretty much a 5GB data plan for my iPad too since it's phone and iPad.

7. Bluezeno macrumors newbie

Why don't you want to jailbreak your phone? I think it makes much more sense to jailbreak your phone instead of paying $20 more on top of the $30 you were already paying. I guess if not jailbreaking your phone is worth more than $20/month, you made the right decision.

8. erawsd macrumors 6502

I did the exact same thing. Unlimited Data is already long gone and dead, ATT throttles anyone that goes over 3GB anyway and from the reports I've seen you're phone becomes pretty much useless when throttled. Beyond that, there has only ever been 2 months in 4 years where I got anywhere close to 1GB, every other month is in the 200-300mb range. With the iPad I can definitely see myself eating up data more often by streaming content and downloading other types of data.

4G also isn't available in enough areas for me to make that a deciding factor. By the time it is widely available we'll probably have the iPhone 5 with 4g LTE. It also isn't $20 more. The iPad/Tethering plan is $50 for 5GB. An unlimited iPhone and a separate iPad plan would be $60, so its ten dollars more a month and $130 more in upfront cost.

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I am considering the same at some point.

Unlimited isn't really unlimited anymore. 5GB actually gives you more unthrottled data than the unlimited plan.

10. karsal macrumors member

I would never give up my unlimited data. I have the Clear mobile hotspot for $25 a month, 4G speed, unlimited data...

11. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Almost did the same but then I read that currently AT&T is stating that they aren't throttling the unlimited iPad plans. So I ordered the 4G.

I know it'll happen probably sooner rather that later that they will throttle the iPad but for now I'll keep my unlimited on both the iPhone (which i never get close to 3gb) and the iPad.

12. Holoshed macrumors regular

Jailbreaking is not illegal, heck they are having an event: http://www.jailbreakcon.com/wwjc/

As for jailbreaking to tether... It is completely separate from the jailbreak process, you have to install specific apps from cydia (or load the package manually) that allow you to tether on your jailbroken phone.

Tethering without payment for it does make carriers upset because they feel "cheated" out of a revenue. The funny thing is, if you look back at the macrumors news you will see you can tether without jailbreaking now so the jailbreak/tether point is near moot since tether.com opened the door.

13. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

tether.com doesn't allow to tether to the iPad though...that's why i switched my plan

14. ZipZap macrumors 601

Considering the fact that the unlimited plan is NO LONGER unlimited....you're holding onto value you no longer have.

You will not get unlimited LTE either. You will be throttled at 3GB effectively making the device useless.

The move to the tethering 5GB plan, while not fair, is likely going to be the only option available.

15. daitalianjob thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the support. I am feeling good about my switch