Changed names, I'm screwed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sad Cure, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Sad Cure macrumors newbie

Hey Macrumors, I'm an occasional lurker and a two-year Mac user who has finally screwed up and needs your help.

Put simply, I changed the name of my home (or whatever the name by the little house in the leftmost edge of the finder window in Tiger is called) without knowing it would have negative consequences and the next thing I know I lose all my music, movies, files, etc, as well as having all those folders get replaced by generic folder icons. I freaked out, of course, because I have extremely important files that I simply cannot lose, so I immediately went to the Internet for help and found out that I shouldn't have changed that name like that.

Here's where I ask for your help: how can I restore things to how they were before this stupid mistake? I managed to find all (I think) my files when I rightclicked on the little house and clicked on "Open Enclosing Folder" and inside a found a normal folder with the new (mistake) name I put, but I have no idea how to turn all my settings back to normal. It's not just a matter of copying my documents and music back, really, because I have years worth of iPhoto albums and iTunes playlists which I don't want to spend hours building back, as well as many Address Book entries and my iCal schedules (and, sadly, also important stuff in Stickies in the Dashboard, but somehow I don't thing I'll be getting that back), which I don't know how to bring back (and I really need them).

I feel like a complete idiot (and deservedly so) and I am scared that I may have lost some very important stuff, so I ask you guys to please help someone semi computer-literate like me to fix this mistake. Thank you very much in advance for all your responses, and please pardon the rush of this post (I'm obviously still freaking out, as well as in a hurry).

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Restart in Single User Mode. Then type in the follow commands:

mount -uw /

cd /Users

mv "name it used to be" "name.bak"

mv "name changed to" "name it should be"

reboot

Login as normal.

Keep the double-quotes in the commands, but clearly, replace the "name blah blah" with the appropriate information.

EDIT: Eidorian's way looks a lot easier to the un-CLI-initiated.

4. Sad Cure thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thanks for the quick response. As I stated, I know the files aren't gone, but I was just wondering how to get all my settings back. I suppose I didn't state that well enough... I apologize if I wasn't clear. I have to leave in 45 minutes and I will almost certainly need to take my computer with me, so we'll see. Thanks for the link, I'll read it now.

Edit: thanks for the response, yellow. As I said, I'm not exactly great with computers (yes, even Macs...), so I need to ask how to do that. To restart in Single User Mode do I use the CDs that came with the computer?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Not that I don't enjoy command line love. :rolleyes:

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nor I, but we're a minority for sure.

7. Sad Cure thread starter macrumors newbie

Much ado about nothing.

Well, I feel silly for how simple that was. I had the feeling I was going to have to lower the terminal or something like that... you see, after getting a Mac, I felt so at home that I never bothered to really learn its ins and outs (which I did too much when I used Windows). Thanks for the help. I hope its not frowned upon for users to pop in very rarely because I mostly just lurk... anyway, let's let this silly thread slide into a quiet death. Thanks again.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest you stick around for the long term. You're not the first person to make this nasty mistake or the first to wonder why Apple would allow you to make it in the first place.

Brush up on Terminal skills. :p