Changed network set-up, lost all permissions on time capsule - running out of ideas

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by woolyback, Nov 30, 2008.

1. woolyback macrumors regular

Okay, so I finally got around to changing the way my wirless devices are set-up; instead of using time capsule as my wireless device, I went back to using the linksys wi-fi router (which I'd used prior to time capsule, but now set up as WPA2 if it makes a diff?) with the intent of putting time capsule in another room with my 1TB iTunes library hanging off it.

All seemed to work well but I initially had a problem with the :apple:TV keep dropping the wi-fi connection. Now connected via ethernet to the linksys, no problem. iTunes streamed okay but I couldn't seem to get time machine to make a back-up - just prepared forever (overnight, still no joy).

So I noticed today that I seemed to have lost permissions on both iTime drive and time capsule. I managed to fix the iTunes drive by connecting direct to my macbook and running disk utility then adding myself again via sharing (hip hip for MRoogle), but I cannot do the same with the time capsule.

Even with airport utility and connected via ethernet I can't even get the configuration up - just spins out until it throws an error.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong - I'm assuming it's me as this all worked in the previous set-up...:confused:

Thanks.

Edit: So I re-set to factory default and it doesn't seem to have a bit of difference; under sharing and permissions I still see the same two - "(unknown)" with read/write, and "everyone" with nothing - I'm still not showing up.

Also, resetting to factory default doesn't appear to have erased my previous backups, which I thought it did....?

2. woolyback thread starter macrumors regular

Could someone with a Time Capsule wirelessly connected (ideally not running as the base station, but don't think it actually matters) please do me a favour and do cmd + I on the time capsule and tell me what it says in Sharing and Permissions?

Specifically, does your user name appear ?

Thanks

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would recommend wiring up to do the configuration.

5. woolyback thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that, very interesting. You show the same as what I'm seeing, i.e. my user account doesn't show up... I'm guessing you don't have any problems with time machine backing up to it ?

Still thinking that there's a problem related to this though as when I connect my iTunes drive to the TC I can't write to it and the permissions I have when connected direct to my MacBook aren't showing.

I'll keep chasing with Apple Support but so far their biggest issue was why I wasn't using the TC as a basestation :rolleyes:

6. woolyback thread starter macrumors regular

Update - different problem ?

Okay, so I took the T/C into the local auth repair place and walked the guy through the same steps as I follow to add it to an existing network and sod's law it worked perfectly :mad:

So, it means I either have a problem with my MacBook or the network and really am not sure which, nor where to check first...

On the wifi I have my MacBook, :apple:TV, the T/C is visible on it and I can get on-line with my work Windows laptop also.

From the MB side, I can access the configs on the T/C only the first time when I'm setting it up following a re-set (even with ethernet connected), but after that, the airport utility never finishes refreshing (even with the T/C showing green) and if I start a new session, it times out trying to access the T/C. It's almost like I'm being refused access somewhere.

Oh, and it doesn't show up in Disk utility either. I think I'm going to have to pay the guy to come round and have a look (which is fine, he did offer and I would quite like it to work :rolleyes: ), but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had any ideas now I have a bit more info ?

ta