Changed Password. . . now???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BLDun, Mar 31, 2010.

1. BLDun macrumors regular

I am running Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro. For some reason when I went to install a program upgrade it wouldn't take my password. So after a lot of mess I finally put in the install DVD and changed the password. Problem is that now every time I start up the computer I have to log in. Used to be that if I shut down I didn't have to log in when I started it up again. Now it always asks for the password. Any way to fix this??

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

[soapbox]
    Having to enter a password is a good start at minimum security on your Mac. If someone steals it and all they have to do is restart it to get into your files, would you be upset and would they get some juicy info on you? Seriously, a password to login is not a big deal once you get used to it, and it'll a) help you remember it and b) keep casual jerks out of your computer.
    [/soapbox]

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Options -> Click the lock to unlock (lower left hand corner) -> Automatic login:

It's set for your old password and doesn't work until you input your new password.

3. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

I don't see anyplace on that box to put in the new password. When I click the lock to unlock it, it asks for my password to be able to make changes. is that what you are talking about? Because it still requires a password at login.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

When you unlock it, under the automatic login field select your user name. It will prompt for your password. Enter it.

It will now auto login.

5. BLDun thread starter macrumors regular

Good deal! I had to turn it off first and then select my name to get the password box to open but it worked fine after that. Thanks!