Changed permissions for "Macintosh HD"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imagineerthat, Jun 12, 2011.

1. imagineerthat, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011

imagineerthat macrumors newbie

For some reason or another, I right clicked on my Macintosh HD icon, chose get info, then changed permission to read & write, and applied it to all enclosed items. Then I restarted my MacBook and it wouldn't boot. It would just hang on the Apple logo boot screen with the spinning thing.

So I did some research online and saw that I would have to wipe my whole hard drive and start over since I applied read & write to all enclosed items. I put the OSX disk in, and booted to it. Before I went to install a fresh copy of OSX, I tried to repair disk permissions instead. To my delight, it worked. I was able to boot like normal.

But now I am having some strange problems.
    -When I turn on Macbook a window pops up that says "error system extension cannot be used" and then it says below it:
    The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

-Laptop reboots by itself after screensaver comes on, when I try to log in and load Firefox, the bouncing icon will be all jumpy, firefox never loads.

I tried running repair disk permissions and it keeps saying "permissions differ on "system/library/frameworks/" then a bunch of codes

It also says "Warning: SUID file "system/library/coreservices/... has been modified and will not be repaired."

I have a Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard
    I have no idea what to do. Help :confused:

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You answered it in your 2nd paragraph, just do a wipe and clean install.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

yeah thats what you basically have to do. Clean you Hard drive out

4. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

it'll be next to impossible to figure out what's wrong. Do a clean install, it'll save you the hassle.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sometimes I wish that the OS was a little smarter in allowing people to monkey around with permissions. The *NIX permission scheme is quite contorted and when I was working it was not surprising to see new employees with Comp Sci degrees run amuck changing permissions without knowing what they were doing and resulting in a godawful mess. I have changed permissions on OSx, but I'm very careful to only do it down from the user home directory level.

Your only real recourse now is to do a clean install.

6. marc11 macrumors 68000

The OS shouldn't replace common sense. Apple, as much as they try cannot protect everyone from everything, sometimes you need to ask yourself "is this a good idea and do I know what will happen"...

7. imagineerthat thread starter macrumors newbie

What if I just right click on "Macintosh HD" > get info > and change the "privilege" back to read only, as before? BTW: This is not the main account on the macbook, it has administrator privileges but it wouldn't let me update some applications, that's why I tried to change the permissions, because it was beginning to get annoying.

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Why don't you try it out and report back?