changed the Home folder name and lost account? Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tchaap, Dec 29, 2007.

1. tchaap macrumors member

I noticed in the finder menu that the home folder in the sidebar of the menu showed as "appleuser". I changed it to "TC" in the get info section.

I rebooted and now my background picture is gone and everything has gone back to like a standard account...like the first time you ever log on to a new MBP. I can't find my songs or pictures? None of my programs are in the dock. When I go in to get info to change he name of the home folder to TC it says TC is already taken.

What did I do and how do I get to my old account?

Thanks for your help,
    TC

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Do you have a backup. I think that really is the only way to get it back. I do know that changing the name back will not work...

3. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

I didn't really loose anything that I don't have backed up somewhere. I just don't understand what I did. How could songs, emails, photos all be gone?

TC

4. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Search in spotlight for 'previous users' or something along those lines, or the name of your old home folder. Its there somewhere. Sorry i'm not in front of my mac right now so can't be of more help.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

http://guides.macrumors.com/Renamed_User_Folder

Basically: You need to find your original home folder (something like /Users/<new name>), rename it back to what it was (after you rename your "current one" to something else) and reboot...

Edit: Apple explains it better than me...

6. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

Mitt,
    That was it. I followed those directions and I'm back.

Thanks for your help!

TC

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

What you did was change the name of your home folder. All your music, photos and the like are linked to that folder name, you change it and the link is broken.