Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2016
I just renamed the main user account, as well as the name of the user folder. I didn't this from within the same account. I did not know you're supposed to use a separate admin account to do this. Now the renamed account can't access its own files. I can't adjust the read/write privileges preferences in "Get Info". Just says the account doesn't have access.

The account is an admin account.

Can I fix it, or do I just need to do a clean install?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Log into an admin account and run this in Terminal (make sure that you get the trailing dot).

cd /Users/newaccountname
sudo chown -R newaccountname .

I have not tested this myself.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That makes no sense, actually. The username or home-directory name has nothing to do with your permissions (these are tied to a user ID, which should not have been changed). If you just renamed both, then the permissions should not have been touched.

Have you logged out? Have you changed the name of the user directory in the account information as well?

Howard Ellacott

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
United Kingdom
I just renamed the main user account, as well as the name of the user folder. I didn't this from within the same account. I did not know you're supposed to use a separate admin account to do this. Now the renamed account can't access its own files. I can't adjust the read/write privileges preferences in "Get Info". Just says the account doesn't have access.

The account is an admin account.

Can I fix it, or do I just need to do a clean install?

The account will be trying to use the previous folder name.
Go into user accounts in system preferences, find the account that doesn't work, cmd click on the user and select advanced options, make sure the home directory field matches your renamed directory. Restart and it should work!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
MacConfucious say:

DO NOT change the name of your user accounts unless you know what you are doing.

Otherwise, you could become forgotten man!

Reactions: lie2me
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.