Changed User Name And Now Everything Is Gone!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JesRoyston, Oct 29, 2008.

1. JesRoyston macrumors newbie

I changed my last name on my user name account and when I restarted my computer, it's the default dock, my iPhoto is blank, contacts in Address Book gone...all my files seem to be there, but all my preference are GONE! Please someone let me know how to get it back! Thanks in advance...

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. 3rdfinger macrumors newbie

3rdfinger

did you re-name your "short name" in the USERS folder?

or did you go to SYSTEM PREFs and change it?

4. JesRoyston thread starter macrumors newbie

I just changed my last name in System Preferences. It didn't get me any message not to! It wouldn't let me change my ShortName though. Now I have a folder on my computer with my shortname (and the "house" icon next to it) and another regular blue folder with my new name and all my files. Does that make sense?

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Follow the directions in the link in the second post and it should fix the problem.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you look in the User Folder, the old account should still be there as a folder.

Likely all you did was create a new user, or unlink the old account from the changed user name depending on how you did it.

Follow the above link to correct the issue.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Follow the advice that you have been given. You cannot accidentally lose data by changing an account name. You can't even lose data by removing an account. Removing data from an account requires an affirmative decision on the part of the Administrator--that's you. You will find your old account directory (folder) in /Users/.

8. JesRoyston thread starter macrumors newbie

I did try the support off the Apple website, but to no avail :(

I do see both folders (the original short name with my house and a new folder that I renamed) but I can't seem to find a way to get back to my old user. There is only one on the account.

9. 3rdfinger macrumors newbie

3rdfinger

apple store?

Can you take it to an apple store?

they can walk you through what to do in person.

www.apple.com/retail
    (make an appointment at the genius bar before you show up)

10. mongaylord macrumors newbie

I think the same thing happened to me

I wanted to change the username on my mac and so I did. But then I also changed the home directory and the UUID [I wasn't sure what I was doing and if it all changed the name]. Then I restarted my laptop and found out everything was gone: files, folders, pictures, important documents, music etc. EVERYTHING. What should I do?

11. benwiggy macrumors 68020

As before, by renaming the user account, you have simply removed the link between the folder where your user domain was and your current user account.
    OS X has created a new set of folders (empty) for your user account, as it could not find a domain at the expected filepath for the current (new) user.

Your old domain will be in /Users.

You can always restore all your user data from your backup, in any case, can't you? Because you have a backup. Particularly if you decide to go tinkering with critical parts of the OS and you're not entirely sure what you're doing. ;)