Changed user name on accounts and...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *jjs*, Sep 16, 2008.

1. *jjs* macrumors newbie

I changed my user name under accounts in system preferences and now when I started my computer, my entourage account got deleted. I changed my user back to the original and restarted my computer but nothing changed. Can I do something to get my emails back?

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Can you check to see if you have an Entourage folder in the Douments folder of your user account? Last time I used Entourage (which was eons ago) that's where Entourage kept my emails. If that's still the case I bet they're still there, then it's a matter of getting Entourage to recognize them.

3. *jjs* thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked under document, microsoft user data, then office 2008 identities and it's gone. Does changing my user name really affect programs?

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

If you can believe it for some reason I still have the Microsoft User Data folder in my Doumments tab with my 2008 Office stuff... and my 2004 version... which will lead shortly in to a bout of document folder re-organization! :p

I'd search your home folder for "Database", it seems Entourage automatically produces the file and sticks it under
    /Users/username/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 Identities/Main Identity.
    The default size is a mind boggling 21.1MB. So if you find anything bigger it's probably your old database with your emails.

Also under your list of users, check for any odd folders with your old username on it, it's possible (but not likely) that when you changed your user name it created another user account and deactivated your old one...

5. *jjs* thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Glad to hear it! :) Just for others who might have the same problem, can you post how you got Entourage to hookup to the database again?