Changeing computers name

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by slomo86, Aug 10, 2008.

1. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

This is very minor but it buggs me. In the screen shot below I want to change the name of that folder to another name other than the mikewhitty name. But i can't figure it out anyone got any answers??

Attached Files:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's your home folder. You can't change it without changing your log in name, which I don't think you can change either.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. slomo86 thread starter macrumors member

slomo86

yeah I have changed the host name to G4. And I have changed the log in name... but the place to put the short name, I can't change that and thats what my homefolder is called... is there a way to change the short name???

Attached Files:

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You have to make a new account to change your short name.

6. slomo86 thread starter macrumors member

slomo86

so that means I would loose my preffs on this account... and this is the main account... would I change the other account to the admin and then delete this one?? and would i loose my files on this one??

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I never said you'd have to delete any accounts or that you'd lose files. You can't even delete the current account via the Accounts preference pane unless you're logged in as another administrator. :rolleyes:

Make a new account with the short name that you want and migrate your data from your current home directory over to it.

8. slomo86 thread starter macrumors member

slomo86

ok I know that this is prolly stupid too but how do i migrate all that over??